Donald H. Scharg has more than 30 years of experience in the areas of labor law, construction labor law, employment discrimination and employee relations. He has represented employers in collective bargaining, contract arbitrations, 312 arbitrations, wrongful discharge, discrimination claims, representation and unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board, and Section 10(k) proceedings.
The prestigious journal Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment 2018 named Mr. Scharg a “Midwest Star” for labor & employment law and litigation, indicating unusually strong endorsements from his clients and peers for his effectiveness. A Bodman client quoted in the publication described Mr. Scharg as being “professional, knowledgeable, experienced, responsive, and tactically skilled.”
Mr. Scharg has served as a member of the Governor’s Coalition on Workplace Drug Abuse and has conducted many seminars for management on wrongful discharge, employment discrimination, sexual harassment, handicap discrimination, workplace misconduct, employee relations, remaining union-free, contract negotiations, family leave, and substance abuse testing. Mr. Scharg also contributes articles to professional and business publications regarding employment law issues.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Scharg was a partner at The Fishman Group, a nationally-recognized law firm that specialized in labor law, employment litigation, and employee relations matters, representing management in the private and public sectors.
He is a former member of the Board of Directors of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Scharg also served on the Board of Directors of the Frankel Jewish Academy (FJA) in West Bloomfield. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been listed as a "Top Lawyer" for Labor and Employment by DBusiness Magazine.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment 2018, Midwest Star
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2010, Labor and Employment
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Frankel Jewish Academy, Former Member, Board of Directors
- Michigan Chamber of Commerce, Former Member, Board of Directors
- 05/02/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | DOL Provides New Insight on Employee vs. Independent Contractor Classification, Just As Michigan AG Launches Payroll Fraud Enforcement Unit
- 01/24/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | Employers Responsible for both Customer and Employee Information in Data Breach Cases
- 12/20/2018Bodman PLC and Donald H. Scharg Listed Among the Best of the Midwest for Labor and Employment Law
- 08/23/2018COURT OF APPEALS AFFIRMS USE OF "TENDER BACK" RULE TO BLOCK LAWSUIT AFTER SETTLEMENT
- 01/18/2018WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | DOL Issues New Guidance On Test For Unpaid Internships
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A., with high distinction
- State Bar of Michigan