Mr. Carver is a member of the Business and Data Privacy and Security Practice Groups. He represents clients in a variety of general business transactions and in matters involving corporate governance, commercial contractual issues, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and debt and equity financing.
Mr. Carver also assists clients in a wide range of data privacy and security matters, including issues relating to the CCPA, GDPR, TCPA, FCRA, CAN-SPAM and other privacy laws and regulations both domestic and international. He is a Certified Information Privacy Professional for both the United States and Europe as recognized by the International Association of Privacy Professionals, the world’s foremost information privacy organization.
Prior to joining Bodman, Mr. Carver served as General Counsel to a 1,200 employee Detroit technology company, where he was responsible for implementing business friendly legal solutions in line with the company’s strategic mission and overseeing all efforts relating to corporate governance, strategic investments and partnerships, risk management, and general business operations.
Prior to that, Mr. Carver was in-house counsel for one of Michigan’s largest family offices, where he assisted the office’s active venture capital and emerging companies interests, and an associate in the corporate group of a large Milwaukee law firm.
At the University of Michigan Law School, Mr. Carver served as an Associate Editor of the Michigan Journal of Environmental and Administrative Law. During law school, he also served as an intern for Judge Richard Conlin of Michigan's 14th District.
Mr. Carver earned his Bachelor of Arts in Economics and English from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Information Technology Law, Business Law, and Young Lawyers Sections
- IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional/US & Europe (CIPP/US and CIPP/E)
Representative recent matters in which Mr. Carver has been active include:
- Represented an artificial intelligence and machine learning cancer diagnostic company in its sale to a publicly traded company.
- Represented a tier two automotive supplier in its sale to an international parts manufacturer.
- Represented a specialty flooring company in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented a waste management company in connection with its sale of a majority interest to a privacy equity firm.
- Represented an electronics component company in its sale to a publicly traded company.
- 09/21/2020Bodman Attorney Jack Carver Achieves CIPP-E Certification
- 01/24/2020Bodman Year in Review - 2019 Edition
- 11/15/2019Attorney John J. Carver Joins Bodman PLC
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan