Joseph R. (Joe) Morrison, Jr., represents high-growth companies in an outside general counsel capacity. He focuses on emerging companies that leverage technology to build their business and brand. He also represents venture capital firms and high net worth individuals that invest in high-growth companies. His business and technology background gives him the ability to deftly advise ambitious entrepreneurs facing legal and business challenges.
Joe has experience negotiating a wide range of financing transactions, including venture investment rounds, and company sale transactions. He also assists companies with their general operational concerns ranging from negotiating leases and customer or supplier contracts to intellectual property licensing to employment issues. He represents dozens of companies that have licensed technology from University Tech Transfer offices.
Before joining Bodman, Joe worked for Accenture as an information technology consultant in Washington, D.C. He also served as corporate counsel and consulting manager for a Michigan-based IT startup, where he helped scale the company to 50+ employees and $3 million in revenue.
Joe is active in the Ann Arbor startup scene and regularly presents to student and local startup groups and University of Michigan classes on legal issues facing young, high growth companies.
Joe serves on the board of directors of New Enterprise Forum in Ann Arbor. He is a member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) Business Law Advisory Board and New Lawyers Advisory Board. He is listed in Michigan Rising Stars 2019 under Business/Corporate.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Rising Stars 2016-2019, Business/Corporate
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Business Law Advisory Board
- New Lawyers Advisory Board
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section
- 02/10/2020Bodman PLC Admits Four New Members
- 09/03/201949 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019
- 09/10/201853 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018
- 09/06/201750 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2017
- 07/26/2017Bodman PLC and Susan M. Kornfield Recognized for Trademark Law Excellence by Managing Intellectual Property
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Richmond — Robins School of Business, B.S.B.A.
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- State Bar of Michigan
- University of Michigan Law School - Alumni-Student Mentoring Program