Ms. Young represents business clients in commercial litigation matters. Before joining Bodman as an associate attorney she served in the firm’s summer associate program, gaining exposure to a broad range of legal services and clients.
While at Wayne State University Law School, Ms. Young served as a Judicial Intern for Hon. Sean F. Cox, U.S. District Court for The Eastern District of Michigan. She was active in a number of student organizations and activities, including Moot Court (Member, 2016-2017; Executive Board, 2017-2018), the Student Bar Association (Member, Board of Governors), the Wayne Law Student Ambassadors Program (Student Ambassador), the Medical Health & Law Society (Event Coordinator and President), and the Legal Advocacy for People with Cancer Clinic (Student Intern). She also competed in the National Appellate Advocacy Competition as a brief writer.
Ms. Young has received several academic honors, including the Provost’s Scholarship, the Brass Ring Endowed Scholarship, and the Mark A. Miller Scholarship, all while attending Wayne State University Law School.
Before attending law school she worked for nine years in the University of Michigan Health System in various roles, including serving as a program coordinator in the Division of Otology/Neurology and the Office of Clinical Safety. She is the co-author of “Ensuring Safe Medication Administration Through Direct Observation,” 23 Quality in Primary Care 167-173 (2015).
Ms. Young holds an undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice and served two internships with the U.S. Marshal Service in Detroit where she participated in high-profile fugitive cases. She is a member of the Federal Bar Association–Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, the American Bar Association, and the Detroit Bar Association (Member, Barristers Section Board). She served as the Young Alumni Representative to the Board of Directors of the MSU College of Social Science Alumni Association.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Pro Bono Award, Detroit Bar Association, 2019
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG)-Detroit Chapter
- Detroit Economic Club
- Federalist Society - Michigan Chapter
- American Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association
- Member, Barristers Section Board
- Federal Bar Association-Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Author, "'Substantial Burden': Limits on the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act," State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section eNewsletter, July 2017.
- 11/26/2019Bodman Attorneys Sarah L. Cylkowski and Katelyn M. Young Honored by Detroit Bar Association
- 11/06/2018Five Associate Attorneys Join Bodman
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Michigan State University, B.A.
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- U.S. Dist. Ct., E.D. Michigan
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG)