Mr. Tallerico represents clients in complex commercial litigation and arbitration, nationally and internationally, particularly matters involving the auto industry, banking, professional liability, securities, distribution relationships, and antitrust law.
Mr. Tallerico has extensive experience representing major corporations, including financial institutions and automakers, in multi-million dollar litigation involving third persons incorporated in North America, South America, Central America, the Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. He has handled disputes relating to the termination of distribution relationships, anti-trust issues, securities fraud/professional liability and lender liability matters for major corporations, including major international vehicle and vehicle part manufacturers, American Airlines, Inc., The American Medical Association, a joint venture of Sherwin-Williams and Hoechst AG, and numerous banks. Mr. Tallerico has also represented numerous clients on all types of fraud claims.
Mr. Tallerico is a civil mediator. He is also listed on the American Arbitration Association's Complex Commercial Dispute Panel and its International Panel. He has been appointed by AAA to serve on numerous panels, as sole arbitrator, panel member, or chairman. He has also been a member of the advisory board of Big Brothers-Big Sisters of Metro Detroit.
He is a past president of the Oakland County Bar Foundation and of The American Constitution Society, Michigan Chapter. He was named a “Legal Eagle” by Franchise Times. He is listed in Chambers USA 2017 under Commercial Litigation, in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 under Commercial Litigation, in Michigan Super Lawyers 2020 under Business Litigation, and in Benchmark Litigation 2008-2020 under Antitrust and Commercial Litigation. He is also listed as a 2020 “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness magazine. He was named a "Client Service All Star" for 2011 by BTI Consulting, a leading provider of strategic research to law firms and general counsel. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Tallerico is the co-author of “The Use of Bifurcation and Direct Testimony Witness Statements in International Commercial Arbitration,” Journal of International Arbitration (2003). He has spoken at seminars regarding international arbitration in the U.S., Germany, Austria and the Netherlands.
Mr. Tallerico is reasonably proficient in Spanish and French. Before joining Bodman, he worked for the Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs of the United States Department of State.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2017, Commercial Litigation
- The Best Lawyers in America 2005-2021, Commercial Litigation
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2020, Business Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation 2008-2020, Local Litigation Star
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyer," 2009-2015, 2018 and 2020, Litigation-Antitrust
- "Client Service All Star," BTI Consulting, 2011
- "Legal Eagle," Franchise Times
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Big Brothers-Big Sisters of Metro Detroit, Advisory Board
- Pro Bono representation of a Juvenile Life Without Parole prisoner
- International Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association
- National Roster of Commercial Arbitrations
- Complex Commercial Dispute Panel
- International Panel
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Circuit Court Committee
- Oakland County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- State Bar of Michigan
- International Law Section
- Co-Author, "The Use of Bifurcation and Direct Testimony Witness Statements in International Commercial Arbitration Proceedings," 20 Journal of International Arbitration 295-305 (2003).
Significant representative matters in which Mr. Tallerico has been counsel of record include the following:
- The arbitration of disputes relating to the non-renewal of automotive distributorships in Doha, Qatar and Beirut, Lebanon. The cases involved complex contract, choice of law, and damages issues, and were decided favorably by the AAA International Center For Dispute Resolution in New York in one instance and by the London Court of International Arbitration in the other.
- The successful arbitration and litigation, in London and throughout the United States, of disputes regarding the termination of other distribution relationships, including matters in Australia, Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Iraq, Germany, Greece, Lebanon, Spain, Portugal, Japan, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and throughout the United States.
- The defense of professionals, including most of the major accounting firms.
- Litigation between a U.S. oil company and its wholly owned subsidiary in Yemen to enjoin a Washington, D.C.-based lawyer and his law firm from representing the Yemen Arab Republic (the “YAR”) in all matters in which the oil company had an interest adverse to the YAR.
- The litigation of other disputes involving persons in Switzerland, France, Italy, England, St. Martin, the Cayman Islands, Dubai, Hong Kong, and Canada.
- A wide variety of other injunctive relief matters, virtually all of which have required the rapid assessment and articulation of relevant facts and law. Jerome Duncan, Inc. v. Auto-By-Tel, L.L.C., 966 F.Supp. 540 (E.D. Mich. 1997), is one example. In that action, an automobile dealership sought to restrain Mr. Tallerico’s client, an Internet Web site operator, from terminating their contract.
- A wide variety of disputes relating to financial institutions, including defense of major lender liability claims in various courts across the country and the pursuit of claims related to frauds perpetuated by large borrowers.
- 09/18/202056 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2020
- 08/20/202061 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 10/24/2019Bodman "Highly Recommended" in Benchmark Litigation 2020
- 09/03/201949 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Sacred Heart Seminary College, B.A., cum laude
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)®
- International Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA)
- Oakland County Bar Foundation