Joseph R. (Joe) Morrison, Jr., represents high-growth companies in an outside general counsel capacity. He focuses on emerging companies that leverage technology to build their business and brand. He also represents venture capital firms and high net worth individuals that invest in high-growth companies. His business and technology background gives him the ability to deftly advise ambitious entrepreneurs facing legal and business challenges.
Joe has experience negotiating a wide range of financing transactions, including venture investment rounds, and company sale transactions. He also assists companies with their general operational concerns ranging from negotiating leases and customer or supplier contracts to intellectual property licensing to employment issues. He represents dozens of companies that have licensed technology from University Tech Transfer offices.
Before joining Bodman, Joe worked for Accenture as an information technology consultant in Washington, D.C. He also served as corporate counsel and consulting manager for a Michigan-based IT startup, where he helped scale the company to 50+ employees and $3 million in revenue.
Joe is active in the Ann Arbor startup scene and regularly presents to student and local startup groups and University of Michigan classes on legal issues facing young, high growth companies.
Joe serves on the board of directors of New Enterprise Forum in Ann Arbor. He is a member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) Business Law Advisory Board and New Lawyers Advisory Board. He is listed in Michigan Rising Stars 2021 under Business/Corporate.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2021, Information Technology Law
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2021-2022, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Michigan Rising Stars 2016-2021, Business/Corporate
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Business Law Advisory Board
- New Lawyers Advisory Board
- University of Michigan Law School's Alumni-Student Mentoring Program
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section
- Co-author (with Garret M. Haddon, II), "New COVID Relief Bill – Expanded worker benefits; payroll tax changes," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, January 2021
- Co-Author (with Nicholas P. McElhinny and Michael S. Melfi), "SBA Disaster Loan Program for Michigan Business Owners," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- 08/19/202123 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2022
- 08/18/2021Contract Basics for Every Student-Athlete NIL Deal
- 08/16/202154 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2021
- 08/02/2021What Every Student-Athlete Needs to Know: Six Key Issues for Name, Image, and Likeness Deals
- 01/08/2021New COVID Relief Bill – Paycheck Protection Program (Round 2)
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Richmond — Robins School of Business, B.S.B.A.
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- State Bar of Michigan
- University of Michigan Law School - Alumni-Student Mentoring Program