Melissa Tetreau counsels employers on compliance with state and federal labor and employment laws, represents them in connection with employment disputes, and assists employers and individuals in connection with immigration matters.
She has represented employers in proceedings before state and federal agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, and the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. She has defended claims filed under Title VII, the FMLA, ADA, ADEA, and FLSA.
Ms. Tetreau is a member of Detroit SHRM and serves on the organization's Legal Affairs Committee. She is also a member of Inforum Michigan.
She graduated first in her class from the University of Toledo College of Law and served as Managing Editor of the University of Toledo Law Review. She won the 2013 Charles W. Fornoff Appellate Advocacy Competition, an annual program that helps second and third year law students gain real-world experience in oral advocacy.
She is the author of “Wrongful Surrogacy: The Need for a Right of Action in Cases of Clear Negligence,” 46 U.Tol.L.Rev. 681 (2016).
Ms. Tetreau is a graduate of Leadership Monroe, Class of 2016-2017. She is proficient in written and spoken Spanish.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Leadership Monroe, Class of 2016-2017
- Detroit SHRM, Legal Affairs Committee Member
- Inforum Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
- Labor & Employment Law, Litigation, and Young Lawyers Sections
- "OSHA Issues COVID-19 Guidance for Restaurant Industry," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, May 2020
- "Police Issue Stay-at-Home Order Violation Warnings to Businesses," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- "Designating Critical Infrastructure Workers & Workers Necessary for Minimum Basic Operations," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- 06/04/2021Workplace Law Lowdown | Court’s Reminder to Employers: Be Consistent with Similarly-Situated Employees
- 01/12/2021Workplace Law Lowdown | Distinguishing Between Employees and Independent Contractors: The DOL Provides Long-Awaited Clarity
- 01/06/2020Workplace Law Lowdown | NLRB Reworks "Quickie Election" Rules
- 11/25/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | What Disabilities Does the ADA Cover?
- 10/01/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | PWDCRA Assessment of Essential Functions and Reasonable Accommodations Given Physical Examination Requirement
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
Grand Valley State University, B.A., with honors
- Society for Human Resource Management