Richard Hoeg is an experienced corporate attorney with a varied practice focusing on securities law compliance, M&A, venture capital financing, and general corporate governance.
He has broad expertise counseling entrepreneurs and their start-up businesses, particularly those in the life science and software development fields, as well as venture capital funds and their portfolio companies. His work with start-ups spans the multitude of issues new businesses face, from initial organizational, business planning, and financing matters to eventual sale or merger.
Since passage of the Jobs Act in 2012, Richard has advised clients on the SEC’s continuing push to democratize the corporate financing process through crowdfunding and related regulations including Rule 506(c), Regulation A+, and “Regulation: Crowdfunding.” He has also advised clients on Michigan’s “Michigan Invests Locally Exemption” (MILE) and presented on corporate finance topics to many business and professional groups.
An avid gamer, Richard’s practice also encompasses information technology, software licensing, and related IP and contractual issues, as well as privacy law and cybersecurity matters. He advises clients in connection with the acquisition, development, licensing, and sale of technology, especially software technology and information systems, and on issues related to website and custom software development. He also counsels clients on the creation and documentation of custom software as a service (SaaS) and related technology matters.
Representative matters in which Richard has served as primary corporate counsel include:
- Assisted a venture capital fund in connection with the financing of a Medicare management services company.
- Assisted a private equity fund with its conditional acquisition of a Texas-based insurance agency.
- Advised a real estate development fund on compliance with SEC filing requirements as well as requirements in 20 different states in connection with a private offering.
- Assisted a multinational client with insourcing and the custom development of software and hardware user interface materials.
- Represented university professors in matters related to various technology-based spin-off corporations.
- Examined and corrected deficiencies in corporate records for a technology-based company to allow for institutional financing.
- Served as M&A counsel to the buyer of a division of a major paper products company.
- Served as M&A counsel to the seller in connection with the acquisition of a Michigan-based neuroscience corporation by a national competitor.
- Advised an Internet services company in connection with financing by a Utah-based private equity fund.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America 2018-2022, Corporate Law
- Michigan Rising Stars 2010, 2012-2019, Business/Corporate
- Co-Author, Michigan Corporation Law & Practice 2009—2018 (supplemented annually), Aspen Law & Business
- Co-Author, “Michigan vs. Delaware Law,” Michigan Business Law Journal, 2015
- Creator and host of “Virtual Legality,” an episodic series available on YouTube exploring the intersection of business, cultural, and legal issues drawn from current world news.
- Presenter, “Private Money Goes Public: Crowdfunding and General Solicitation Rules,” Annual Entrepreneurial Law Institute, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, co-sponsored by the Business Law, Technology Law, and Intellectual Property Law Sections of the State Bar of Michigan, May 28, 2015, Detroit, Michigan
- Presenter, “New SEC Rules Eliminate the Prohibition Against General Solicitation (Rule 506(c)), Michigan Angel Fund, September 18, 2013, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 08/19/202168 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2022
- 08/20/202061 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List
- 01/24/2020Bodman Year in Review - 2019 Edition
- 12/05/2019Corporate Attorney Richard D. Hoeg Joins Bodman PLC
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Hillsdale College, B.A., summa cum laude
- State Bar of Michigan