Assistant Controller – Detroit Office – Full Time
Reports to the Finance Director to assist in all activities of the accounting and financial operations of the firm. This position is a leadership role and has much visibility throughout the firm working independently on certain core activities and must have the ability to work in person in the office and easily transition from in-person to remote work as conditions and the firm may require. The firm is not able to offer a fully remote work environment for this position. The Assistant Controller should have strong analytical, technology, communication and organizational skills.
This position is responsible for providing high-level support to the Finance Director, managing the firm’s accounting and financial activities, identifying accounting issues and implementing procedures to ensure compliance with financial laws and regulations. In collaboration with the Finance Director, create and implement accountability systems and internal controls that prevent errors and inaccurate accounting documents. The Assistant Controller may also oversee data entry and interpret accounting data to create and reconcile monthly, quarterly, or yearly budgets, produce financial summary statements, manage the budget process, develop the accounting team, and other ad-hoc projects as assigned by the Finance Director. The ideal incumbent will be team oriented, collegial, and collaborative, which are “must have”
qualities, in addition to a proven track record of expertise and skills with the following duties, as
determined by the Finance Director, which may include:
- Collaborating with the Finance Director and team to maintain financial records and system processes.
- Working with the Finance Director in establishing and maintaining internal controls and policies.
- Assist with the preparation of profitability metrics, and the preparation of financial data and analysis needed for ongoing and annual compensation decisions. Assist in the preparation of financial statements, and prepare other key financial/business reports for management.
- Posting closing journal entries.
- Managing all aspects of the general ledger including account review and reconciliation.
- Preparing and consolidating monthly, quarterly and year-end financial summary statements with cost variance analysis and reporting.
- Coordinating or assisting with the annual budget process and quarterly forecasting.
- Researching accounting issues for compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and legal guidelines established.
- Serving as a liaison to external auditors and assisting with tax documentation preparation.
- Assist and oversee accounts receivable, billing, accounts payable and general accounting departments providing backup and support as needed.
- Ad hoc projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance and generally requires at least five years of experience in accounting/finance in the legal or other professional services industry or in public accounting which is highly valued. Excellent understanding of governmental guidelines and tax laws that affect partnerships and law firms.
- Experience with payroll, partnership accounting, and tax is preferred.
- Strong client service philosophy with demonstrated timely response to deadlines, follow through,
and effectively solve problems with the ability to see opportunities to make improvements and independently choose strategies to achieve them; envisions new and innovative possibilities and acts on them independently to achieve benefits.
- Demonstrated ability to gather relevant information, interpret and analyze data, and make informed decisions. Develop sound, practical solutions and make timely decisions; provide creative solutions to difficult and complex issues.
- Demonstrated advanced level of Excel experience with the ability to prepare ad hoc reports and requests, as well as proficiency with Microsoft Outlook and Word with experience in accounting software (i.e. CMS/Aderant) is preferred.
- Strong communications skills (i.e., communicate clearly and effectively in both written and oral formats) with the ability to communicate clearly and coherently, interpreting information and adapting appropriate communication to suit particular situations and audience needs, creatively and factually.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain relationships with others, and to work with others toward a common goal by working cooperatively, developing positive relationships, and providing information and assistance willingly. Be above reproach, both in fact and in perception, in maintaining the utmost confidentiality in dealing with employee records and business information.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to develop and apply comprehensive planning and organizing strategies to ensure projects are appropriately prioritized and resources are
4890-9708-0080_3 used effectively and efficiently; demonstrate strong initiative and administrative organization.
- Possess the working knowledge of typical legal or service industry accounting methods with the ability to quickly learn and integrate new technical skills and knowledge as required with expert knowledge of accounting and financial principles, regulations and
For More Information:
If you are interested in pursuing legal support staff employment opportunities at Bodman, please send your resume or any inquiries to:
Sixth Floor at Ford Field
1901 St. Antoine Street
Detroit, Michigan 48226
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or other characteristic protected by law.