Bodman PLC is one of Michigan’s leading business law firms with more than 150 lawyers and five offices. Bodman has a diverse base that includes individuals and businesses in a variety of industries with emphasis on financial services, automotive, real estate and construction, high tech, manufacturing, health care, and other services.
Job Purpose: Perform research regarding business entities and individuals in order to create a list of related parties for the purposes of checking for conflicts in advance of the firm taking on legal work. Use firm software to open new matters and provide attorneys with matter numbers for billing purposes. Assist Information Services Director with filing of incoming print library materials.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using electronic sources, thoroughly and efficiently research business entities to establish lists of parent/subsidiary/affiliated businesses and officers/directors.
- Run such lists through the internal firm database to establish connections the current list may have with prior business the firm has undertaken.
- Prepare a report from said database and forward to attorney(s) for their analysis.
- Upon undertaking of a new legal matter, opening new client-matter numbers for the attorneys based on paperwork submitted to you by the attorney or their legal assistant.
- Some filing of loose-leaf and pocket part updates for print library material in the Detroit office.
- May be called upon to assist with legal research projects.
An Ideal Candidate Has:
- A four-year degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Social Sciences, Pre-Law, English, or General Studies. Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science or coursework in pursuit of a MLIS preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with electronic sources in general, business, and governmental fields.
- The ability to research thoroughly while under time constraints.
- The ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – one who can communicate effectively in a courteous and diplomatic fashion as you will work with a wide range of attorneys and other staff members.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Ability to adhere to all general office rules and procedures.
For immediate consideration send your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by law.