Manager of Diversity and Talent – Detroit Office – Full Time
About Bodman PLC: Bodman PLC is one of Michigan’s leading business law firms with more than 150 lawyers in five offices. Bodman has a diverse client base that includes individuals and businesses in a variety of industries with emphasis on financial services, automotive, real estate and construction, high tech, manufacturing, health care, and other services. Bodman PLC was named by Corp! Magazine a “Diversity-Focused Company” and we are looking for a Manager of Diversity and Talent to join our team.
Summary: The Manager of Diversity and Talent reports to the COO and working with the COO and our firm Committees, plays an essential role in the firm’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiative. The Manager will be responsible for (i) developing and implementing strategies to achieve the goals and objectives, including attracting, hiring, and maintaining a diverse workforce, as outlined in the firm’s Diversity Equity and Inclusion (“DEI”) Strategic Plan; (ii) assisting with recruiting and attorney training and development initiatives; (iii) collaborating with various firm committees and other firm business operation leaders on attorney integration and retention programs, onboarding, and other firm functions to enhance processes and materials; and (iv) working with the firm’s marketing team on communication of the firm’s diversity commitment and activities in the firm’s intranet, website, and in other publications and social media platforms, and in response to client inquiries.
Primary Duties-Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiatives:
- Consult and work with the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, and Culture and Social Action Committees on diversity programming, including social and cultural activities, to promote learning and understanding across the firm community. Coordinate with office staff to implement administrative tasks and duties regarding internal and external DEI initiatives.
- Develop processes/strategies, implement initiatives and track progress toward achieving goals; identify strategies that support diversity initiatives to heighten awareness of issues of importance through training and education. Assist with achieving Mansfield Certification and initiatives to maintain compliance.
- In collaboration with the bSuccessful (mentoring) Committee, coordinate the firm’s formal mentoring program, which includes assigning mentors, and monitoring the quality of the relationships for associates. In collaboration with the bSuccessful (mentoring) Committee members, coordinate and expand additional programming for the mentoring program.
- Review, assess and share market trends, competitive intelligence, benchmarking data and innovations related to DEI for possible application at the firm.
Primary Duties-Attorney Development Initiatives:
- Assist with executing integration programming for lateral associates.
- Design and execute retention programming and tracking for associates. Gain insight from associates throughout the year to improve retention.
- Channel concerns from associates up to management, by serving as a trusted confidant for associates and the go-between with members. Counsel attorneys and assist in resolving job-related developmental and wellness concerns (in conjunction with firm counsel).
- Conduct Individual Development Plan post-evaluation meetings with associates.
- Ensure that the activities and focus of employee resource groups (including the Women’s Forum) are communicated appropriately within the firm, and that the groups are properly supported, particularly in terms of regular meetings, events and broader initiatives.
Primary Duties-Recruiting Initiatives:
- Identify and recommend current best practices in diversity recruitment to enhance the firm’s ability to effectively recruit and retain a diverse pool of attorneys.
- Manage processes and plans to develop and retain traditionally under-represented attorneys. This includes ensuring the firm’s staffing reflects the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion and designing and implementing networking, mentorship, sponsorship, and training opportunities (both formal and informal).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
An ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field and at least five (5) years of experience (preferably in a law firm or professional services firm) in diversity, equity and inclusion management, recruiting, professional development, client development/engagement, and/or in a related area. Coordinating and/or managing attorney development activities in a law firm; or equivalent combination of education and experience in attorney development or a related field in conjunction with relevant work experience (including cooperative education and internship experience) is a plus.
- Professional development/training and coaching experience in a professional services industry (including, experience in managing performance evaluation and mentoring programs) a plus.
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) are required.
- Excellent planning and organization skills with an attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and possession of excellent written, organizational and communication skills with the ability to work quickly and accurately (both independently and as part of a team).
- Superior interpersonal and oral communication skills (with all levels of administrative personnel and management), including effective group presentations a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to and success implementing diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Involved or willing to be involved in organizations, roundtables and communities outside of the firm.
- Understanding of current industry and market trends and philosophies.
- Travel among the firm’s offices in Detroit, Ann Arbor, Troy, and Grand Rapids required.
For More Information:
If you are interested in pursuing legal support staff employment opportunities at Bodman, please send your resume or any inquiries to:
Sixth Floor at Ford Field
1901 St. Antoine Street
Detroit, Michigan 48226
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or other characteristic protected by law.