Anne M. Yantus has joined Bodman as Pro Bono Counsel. She coordinates all aspects of Bodman's pro bono program in conjunction with the firm's Pro Bono Committee and manages the firm's relationships with numerous legal clinics and referring organizations.
Prior to joining the firm, she was a professor of practice and director of the externship program at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law. While at Detroit Mercy Law, Anne established four new clinics including the Federal Pro Se Legal Assistance Clinic.
Ann regularly lectures and writes on Michigan sentencing law. Before joining the faculty of Detroit Mercy Law, she served as an assistant defender and managing attorney with the State Appellate Defender Office, where she specialized in plea and sentencing appeals for 30 years.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Adjunct Professor of the Year, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 2015
- Distinguished Brief Award, Cooley Law Review, People v McGraw (27 T M Cooley L Rev 679 (2010)
- "Michigan Sentencing Law: Past, Present and Future," Federal Sentencing Reporter (2018)
- Michigan Criminal Procedure (co-author, felony sentencing chapter), ICLE (2010, 2018)
- "Sentence Creep: Increasing Penalties in Michigan and the Need for Sentencing Reform," 47 U Mich J L Reform 649 (Spring 2014)
- SADO Defender Plea, Sentencing & Post Conviction Book (contributing editor and contributing author), 2011
- "Nickel and Diming the Criminal Defendant - A Look at Financial Penalties in Felony Cases," Criminal Defense Newsletter, Vol. 31, No. 2 (November 2007)
- "The Legislative Sentencing Guidelines: Michigan's Transition to a Limited-Discretion Sentencing Scheme," Michigan Criminal Law Annual Journal, Vol. 1 No. 1 (2002)
- Guest Lecturer, Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan Spring and Fall Semi-Annual Conferences (2007-present)
- Guest Lecturer, Wayne County Criminal Advocacy Program (2007-present)
- Guest Lecturer, Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2013-2015, 2017-present)
- Guest Lecturer, Michigan Court of Appeals (2014, 2016)
- Guest Lecturer for additional programs sponsored by the Michigan Appellate Assigned Counsel Program, the Michigan State Bar Criminal Law Section, the Appellate Bench Bar Conference, the Michigan Juducial Institute, the Macomb, Oakland, Genesee, Kent and Berrien County Bar Association, and the Center for Forensic Psychiatry
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Wayne State University, B.A., French and Education
- State Bar of Michigan