Brian Kersey concentrates his practice in aviation law and commercial finance matters. He brings nearly 30 years of wide-ranging experience as a lawyer and as a banker to bear in providing practical solutions and guiding his clients to successful outcomes quickly and efficiently.
His aviation law practice encompasses a wide variety of areas, including purchase and sale transactions, regulatory compliance, risk management, tax planning, Part 91 and Part 135 operations, and management and leasing arrangements for both aircraft and hangar space. He has extensive experience in international aviation purchases and sales. His aviation clients range from individuals buying or selling single engine aircraft to family offices and corporate flight departments buying or selling large cabin jet aircraft, with the aircraft being based throughout the United States.
His commercial finance practice includes extensive experience representing both lenders and borrowers in syndicated loan facilities, secured and unsecured term loans (including equipment finance) and revolving credit facilities, real estate and construction lending.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Kersey practiced law with two highly respected Michigan-based business law firms and in the Grand Rapids office of an AmLaw 200 national law firm. He began his professional career as a commercial loan officer for a major regional bank.
Mr. Kersey is a member of the Michigan Bar Association and is a former Chair and the current Treasurer of the Aviation Law Section Council. He is a member of the National Business Aviation Association and The Economic Club of Grand Rapids. He serves as President of the Bills Lake Association and is a long time volunteer fundraiser for Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in Grand Rapids.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America 2013-2020, Banking and Finance
- The Best Lawyers in America 2019 Grand Rapids "Lawyer of the Year," Banking and Finance Law
- Grand Rapids Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2019, Banking & Financial Services Law
- Leading Lawyers Network, Corporate Finance Law
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, Grand Rapids, volunteer fundraiser
- Bills Lake Association, President
- State Bar of Michigan
- Aviation Law Section (past Chair and current Treasurer)
- National Business Aviation Association
- The Economic Club of Grand Rapids
- Co-Author (with Darren J. Burmania), "SBA Publishes Guidance and Resources on Section 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program Loans Application Certifications," Bodman COVID-10 Response Team Update, April 2020
- Co-Author (with Darren J. Burmania), "Interim Final Rule Guidance from the SBA on Section 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program Loans," Bodman COVID-10 Response Team Update, April 2020
- Co-Author (with Darren J. Burmania), "Interim Final Rule Guidance from the SBA on Section 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program Loans," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, April 2020
- "CARES Act: Impact to General Aviation Clients," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- Purchase and resale of a foreign registered Boeing Business Jet.
- Purchase of a foreign registered Bombardier Global 6000 for import and registration in the United States.
- Purchase of a Learjet 60 under a co-ownership arrangement.
- Purchase of a new Gulfstream G280.
- Purchase of a new HondaJet HA-420.
- Purchase of an FBO with Part 135 certificate and Part 141 flight school.
- Sale of an FBO with Part 135 certificate.
- Represented a national financial institution in multiple rounds of financing for Boeing 737 and 767 aircraft.
- Purchase of a NetJets fractional interest in an Embraer Phenom 300.
- Negotiation of a purchase agreement for up to 36 new single-engine piston airplanes with scheduled deliveries over a period of approximately 18 months.
- Sale of an undivided interest in a Beech King Air aircraft with co-owner agreement.
- Numerous transactions representing buyers and sellers of used aircraft across the United States with individual transaction values ranging from $200,000 to $18 million, many involving aircraft being imported into the United States. Clients included individuals, family offices, and corporate flight departments.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D.
- Indiana University, M.B.A., with honors
- Central Michigan University, B.B.A.
- Economic Club of Grand Rapids
- National Business Aviation Association (NBAA)
- State Bar of Michigan