Ms. Leahy concentrates her practice in corporate and business law. She counsels both established and emerging businesses on general corporate transactions, mergers and acquisitions, compliance with securities regulations, and issues involving venture capital funding.
Ms. Leahy is chair-elect of Bodman’s executive management committee. She will become the chair of the firm in January, 2020.
Ms. Leahy has drafted and negotiated transactional documents for both publicly and privately held entities involved in mergers and acquisitions ranging in size from $250,000 to more than $1 billion. She has drafted and negotiated operating and joint venture agreements and advised corporate boards in connection with various transactions. She has also advised clients on entity formation, corporate governance and other general business issues. Ms. Leahy has significant experience working with the University of Michigan's Technology Transfer Office and is part of a Bodman team that has represented more than one-third of the start-up and spin-off companies that have recently licensed technology from U of M.
Ms. Leahy’s securities law experience includes representing clients in connection with public and private securities offerings; preparing registration statements, proxy statements, and periodic reports; and advising clients generally on their securities law obligations. Ms. Leahy also assists public companies with their NYSE listing and reporting requirements.
For ICLE, Ms. Leahy has authored materials on Choosing a Business Entity (1998 and 2002) and moderated a panel discussion on "Advising the New Startup Company: Formation and Funding" (2013).
Ms. Leahy serves as a board member and treasurer for the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti SmartZone Local Development Finance Authority and as a member of the United Way of Washtenaw County Campaign Cabinet. She is a member of the State Bar of Michigan Business Law Section Council.
Ms. Leahy is listed in Chambers USA 2018 under Corporate/M&A, in IFLR1000 2019 under Mergers & Acquisitions, in DBusiness magazine "Top Lawyers" 2019 under Corporate Law, and in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019 under Business/Corporate.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- IFLR1000 2019, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Chambers USA 2018, Corporate/M&A
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2013, 2014, 2018-2019, Corporate Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2019, Business/Corporate
- Michigan Rising Stars 2009-2012, Corporate Law
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti SmartZone Local Development Finance Authority, Board of Directors
- United Way of Washtenaw County Campaign Cabinet
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section Council (2018- )
- Serve as general counsel to Sparton Corporation (NYSE: SPA). Represented Sparton in more than ten strategic acquisitions, bank financing matters, securities matters, corporate governance matters, and general corporate matters.
- Represented iconic Midwest furniture and mattress retailers Art Van, Inc., PureSleep and affiliates in the sale of the companies to Thomas Lee Partners, LP. Art Van and affiliates operate more than 100 facilities in five U.S. states and an associated manufacturing business.
- Negotiated and closed dozens of corporate finance transactions totaling more than $1 billion including seed and follow-on funding, venture capital funding, mezzanine financing, syndicated loans, traditional bank financing, funding from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), raising funds for a private investment equity, and investing in institutional funds.
- Represented the owner of Ann Arbor Distribution/Advanced Distribution in the sale of the company to Dicom Transportation Group, a portfolio company of Wind Point Partners. Ann Arbor Distribution is a major retail services provider that distributes 54 different brands to 13 major retail accounts with more than 1200 locations throughout the Midwest.
- Represented a private, national foundation in connection with the sale of limited partnership interests with an aggregate value of $150,000,000 to substantial private equity funds.
- Represented E&R Industrial Sales, Inc., a distributor of metalworking, production supplies and MRO materials, in its acquisition by W.W. Grainger, Inc., North America's leading broad line supplier of maintenance, repair and operating products.
- Represented several venture capital funds in preparing and implementing the fund formation documents including private placement memorandums, fund partnership agreements, subscription agreements and other securities law compliance matters.
- Successfully negotiated the sale of Sysware Health Care Systems, Inc., a software company with operations in the U.S. and in India, to Eclipsys Corporation, and the sale of Leade Health, a leading health coaching firm, to Ceridian Corporation.
- 10/01/2019Bodman Places Highest Among Michigan Law Firms on NLJ500 Women's Scorecard
- 09/03/201949 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019
- 06/06/2019Carrie Leahy to Succeed Larry R. Shulman as Chair of Bodman PLC
- 06/06/2019Bodman Receives Top Rankings for Banking and M&A Law in IFLR1000
- 11/01/201842 Bodman Attorneys named to “Top Lawyers 2019” by DBusiness Magazine
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, J.D.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, Certificate in Environmental Law
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Michigan Venture Capital Association
- The Chicago Bar Association