Mr. Burmania represents financial institutions and corporate clients in a variety of transactional and business law matters.
He has represented national and regional banks in connection with commercial loan originations and loan workouts involving many industries and various types of collateral and in loan purchases and participation loans. He has represented corporate clients in connection with the sale and purchase of assets, real estate matters, contract issues, employment issues, and intellectual property matters, and has litigated many complex commercial disputes. He also advises business clients in connection with entity formation, succession planning, and asset protection.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Burmania practiced law in a variety of settings, from practicing in the Grand Rapids office of a national law firm to maintaining a solo practice to serving as in-house corporate counsel responsible for commercial contracts and intellectual property matters. Before becoming an attorney, he worked as a legislative assistant in the Michigan State Senate, as a public policy specialist with United Way Community Services in Detroit, and as a Legislative Assistant with the State of Colorado Office of Legislative Legal Services.
He is a member of the Michigan Bar Association Business Law Section and the Grand Rapids Bar Association. Mr. Burmania serves on the board of directors of Ele's Place Grand Rapids, a non-profit dedicated to creating awareness of and support for grieving children and their families. He is listed in Michigan Rising Stars 2011 under Business/Corporate and Banking. While attending Wayne State University Law School, he was associate editor of the Journal of Law in Society.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Rising Stars 2011, Business/Corporate, Banking
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Ele's Place Grand Rapids, Member, Board of Directors
- Co-Author (with Wayne D. Roberts), Honigman v City of Detroit: Service Providers Owe City Income Tax in the City in Which Work is Done, Vol. 51 Issue 1 MI Tax L. 3 (2020)
- Co-Author (with Adam S. Weiner), "PPP Loans: Calculation of Forgiveness," Bodman COVID-10 Response Team Update, May 2020
- Co-Author (with Adam S. Weiner), "Summary of Main Street Business Lending Program," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, April 2020
- Co-Author (with Brian E. Kersey), "SBA Publishes Guidance and Resources on Section 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program Loans Application Certifications," Bodman COVID-10 Response Team Update, April 2020
- Co-Author (with Brian E. Kersey), "Interim Final Rule Guidance from the SBA on Section 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program Loans," Bodman COVID-10 Response Team Update, April 2020
- 02/06/2019Bodman Admits Five New Members
- 01/24/2018Thirteen Bodman Attorneys Named to Civic, Charitable and Professional Leadership Positions
- 05/05/2017Banking and Business Law Attorney Darren J. Burmania Joins Bodman
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Central Michigan University, B.S.