Mr. Gardiner has a decade of experience practicing business and employment law in West Michigan.
His legal practice is focused on the representation of employers in employment law matters and on general business and civil litigation. He also represents business owners and their families in connection with alleged white collar crime and other criminal investigations.
Mr. Gardiner began his legal career as an assistant district attorney for Bronx County, New York. As a law student he interned with the corporate legal department of Rockefeller & Co., Inc., a registered wealth management and investment advisory firm.
He is active in community and professional activities. Mr. Gardiner serves as a board member of Legal Aid of Western Michigan and on the Human Resources Committee for the Michigan Bankers Association. He is a former member of the board of Ministry with Community, the Kalamazoo County Bar Association's Pro Bono Committee, and the Kiwanis Club of Kalamazoo. He also formerly served as a member and committee chair with the Kalamazoo Law Post and as a member of the Kiwanis Club Board of Directors. He volunteers with a number of charities related to the Catholic Diocese of Kalamazoo.
Mr. Gardiner is a graduate of the Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce Leadership Grand Rapids program (Class of 2018-2019).
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers 2019, White Collar Criminal Defense
- Michigan Rising Stars 2018-2019, Employment & Labor
- Michigan Bankers Association
- Member, Human Resources Committee
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce - Leadership Grand Rapids (Class of 2018-2019)
- Legal Aid of Western Michigan, Member, Board of Directors
- Active volunteer with charities related to the Catholic Diocese of Kalamazoo
- 12/03/2019Bodman Attorneys Lindsay M. Cummings and John David Gardiner Selected for Inaugural Top Lawyers List
- 10/01/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | PWDCRA Assessment of Essential Functions and Reasonable Accommodations Given Physical Examination Requirement
- 09/25/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | DOL Unveils Significant Revisions to Federal Overtime Laws, Increasing Salary Threshold to $35,568
- 09/03/201949 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019
- 05/02/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | DOL Provides New Insight on Employee vs. Independent Contractor Classification, Just As Michigan AG Launches Payroll Fraud Enforcement Unit
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D.
- Kalamazoo College, B.A.
- New York