Alexandra Markel represents a variety of business clients in complex commercial litigation matters, including antitrust matters, insurance and ERISA disputes, contract matters, and a broad range of other commercial and business disputes.
She is also a significant contributor to Bodman’s pro bono program. Ms. Markel frequently represents pro bono clients in connection with expungement screenings under Michigan’s new “Clean Slate” statute and in matters involving constitutional and prisoner rights issues.
Before joining Bodman as an associate, Ms. Markel worked at the firm as a summer associate, gaining exposure to a broad range of clients and legal issues. She has served as a judicial intern with the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, in the chambers of Judge Robert Cleland. Prior to returning to Michigan for law school, Ms. Markel worked as a government relations analyst with a Houston-based liquefied natural gas export company in Washington, D.C.
During her time at the University of Michigan, Ms. Markel was active in the law student community. She was a student attorney in Michigan Law’s Federal Appellate Litigation Clinic, and was Associate Editor and Editor-in-Chief of the Michigan Journal of Gender and Law. She participated in the Campbell Moot Court Competition and several various oral advocacy competitions, of which she finished as a quarterfinalist for the University of Michigan 1L Oral Advocacy Competition and won the State Bar of Michigan 1L Oral Advocacy Competition. As a member of Law Students for Reproductive Justice, she served as Communications Chair.
Outside of the legal community, Ms. Markel has been riding horses for over 20 years. At the University of Michigan, she was a varsity member of the UM Intercollegiate Polo Club. Recently, she earned the Bronze Medal Rider Award with the United States Dressage Federation.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2022-2023, Commercial Litigation
- Michigan Rising Stars 2022, General Litigation
- Defense Research Institute
- Young Lawyers Vice Chair, DRI Life, Health, and Disability Committee
- Assistant Editor, ABA ERISA Survey of Federal Circuits, 2018, 2020, and 2022 editions, chapter on the Sixth Circuit
- 10/12/2022Bodman PLC and 25 Firm Attorneys Honored by State Bar of Michigan for Pro Bono Service
- 08/23/202227 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2023
- 08/12/202263 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2022
- 08/19/202123 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2022
- 12/12/2017Bodman Donors and Volunteers Spread the Holiday Spirit at Matrix Human Services Event
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
University of Michigan, B.A.