Amanda Empey counsels employers on compliance with state and federal labor and employment laws and represents them in resolving a broad range of workplace disputes.
Before joining Bodman, Amanda served for two years as a Law Clerk to the Hon. Sean F. Cox, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. In that role, she researched and wrote memoranda on a variety of civil and criminal matters, drafted proposed opinions, and prepared Judge Cox for hearings. She also served as a court officer for trials and oral arguments.
Amanda serves as the Vice-Chair of the State Bar of Michigan’s United States Courts Committee, which provides advice and recommendations concerning the State Bar’s interaction with federal courts in Michigan and the practice of law in those courts.
As a law student, Amanda worked as an Extern to Hon. Michael J. Riordan of the Michigan Court of Appeals and as a Research Division Intern with the Michigan Court of Appeals.
While at Wayne State University Law School, Amanda earned the Governor’s Scholarship for academic achievement and served as Voting Note & Comment Editor (2019-2020) and Assistant Editor (2018-2019) on the Wayne Law Review.
An avid runner, Amanda has run two marathons and has completed 12 half marathons.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Vice-Chair, US Courts Committee
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, Litigation Section
- Federal Bar Association
- Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- “The Customer Isn’t Always Right: Why and How Employers Should Address Third-Party Discrimination in the Workplace,” Bodman Workplace Law Update (September 30, 2022)
- “Client Liability for an Attorney’s Torts: An Evolving Problem that Warrants a Modern Solution,” 65 Wayne L. Rev. 637 (2020)
- Co-presenter (with Aaron D. Graves), “2022 Employment Law Update,” Michigan Chamber of Commerce (September 21, 2022)
- 06/16/2023Michigan Prohibits Hair-Based Racial Discrimination
- 05/25/2023Michigan Amends Civil Rights Act To Include Abortion Protections
- 03/17/2023Michigan Amends Civil Rights Act To Include LGBTQ Protections
- 01/20/2023An Expansion of Federal Protections For Pregnant and Nursing Workers
- 09/30/2022The Customer Isn’t Always Right: Why and How Employers Should Address Third-Party Discrimination in the Workplace
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Michigan State University – James Madison College, B.A.