As an attorney and certified public accountant, Erin Haney has experience serving business tax and banking clients with a collegial and responsive communication style, great attention to detail, and an ability to clearly deconstruct and explain complex information.
Erin is a former senior auditor for the Michigan Department of Treasury. She has handled Michigan tax compliance and controversy matters from both the government and taxpayer perspectives. Her background in state and local tax (SALT) matters benefits clients seeking assistance with multi-jurisdictional compliance matters ranging from apportionment and revenue sourcing to navigation of nexus and filing requirements. At the federal level, she has successfully assisted clients in navigating IRS notices and exams, disputing audit findings and assessments, addressing tax liens and remedying past compliance issues.
Erin works frequently with the Federal Reserve, FDIC, Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services, and other government agencies to facilitate compliance by regulated financial institutions, provide analysis and advice regarding complex regulatory matters, support bank mergers, branch changes and other transactions, and prepare detailed commercial loan documentation.
Before becoming an attorney, Erin served as a tax consultant for a global accounting firm. As a law student, she served as preemption and screening editor for the WMU Cooley Law Review.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers 2021-2022, Tax Law
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021-2023, Tax Law
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Servants Center, Member, Board of Directors
- State Bar of Michigan
- Taxation and Young Lawyers Sections
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA)
- Certified Public Accountant, Michigan
- 11/30/2022Twelve Bodman Attorneys Included in 2022 Grand Rapids Top Lawyers List
- 10/12/2022Bodman PLC and 25 Firm Attorneys Honored by State Bar of Michigan for Pro Bono Service
- 08/23/202227 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2023
- 12/13/2021Six Bodman Attorneys Included in 2022 Grand Rapids Top Lawyers List
- 12/06/2021Bodman PLC Grand Rapids Office Receives Top Rating for Tax Law from U.S. News
- Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- Grand Valley State University, B.A. and B.B.A., magna cum laude
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants