Mr. Gates heads Bodman’s Grand Rapids office. He is an experienced litigation, banking and corporate attorney.
He has represented financial institutions throughout the country in connection with workout and related litigation along with the investigation of complex fraud schemes involving hundreds of millions of dollars in claims. Floyd has also handled significant real estate related litigation including representing numerous owners, contractors and suppliers in connection with multi-million dollar construction, riparian and environmental claims. He has represented insurance carriers throughout the county in connection with large coverage and subrogation claims. He has also represented numerous financial institutions in connection with complex loan documentation and incentive financing.
Floyd also serves as general corporate counsel for many small and medium sized companies including financial institutions, health care institutions and providers, manufacturers, contractors and employment agencies, among others. No matter the industry, Floyd’s passion, creativity and problem solving abilities make him a tremendous advocate for his clients.
Floyd proudly served his country for twelve years in the United States Army Reserves as both a communications specialist attached to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and as a legal specialist attached to an office of the Judge Advocate General (JAG).
Floyd is listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2022 under Creditor-Debtor Rights and in Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers 2022 under Banking & Financial Services. The Business Review Western Michigan named him to its “40 Under 40” class of business and community leaders in 2008. He is active in a number of nonprofit boards and community organizations including the March of Dimes and the American Red Cross. Floyd is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan and before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Honors, Awards and Recognition
- Grand Rapids Business Journal Notable West Michigan Lawyers, 2023
- Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers 2021-2022, Banking & Financial Services Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2021-2022, Creditor-Debtor Rights
- Business Review Western Michigan “40 Under 40,” 2008
- 03/20/2023Bodman's Floyd Gates and Wayne Roberts Included On Grand Rapids Business Journal List of Notable West Michigan Lawyers
- 11/30/2022Twelve Bodman Attorneys Included in 2022 Grand Rapids Top Lawyers List
- 08/12/202263 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2022
- 12/13/2021Six Bodman Attorneys Included in 2022 Grand Rapids Top Lawyers List
- 08/16/202154 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2021
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
Michigan State University, B.S.