Gary Fealk practices in all areas of labor and employment litigation on behalf of private and public sector employers.
He has particular expertise in union/management relations including collective bargaining, labor arbitrations, administrative proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and the Michigan Employment Relations Commission (MERC) and in multi-employer benefit fund collection actions. He has extensive experience defending discrimination, retaliation and harassment claims in state and federal courts and before the Michigan Department of Civil Rights (MDCR) and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). He also represents employers in cases involving non-competition agreements, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Before joining Bodman in September 2019, Mr. Fealk was a shareholder in a highly regarded southeast Michigan-based labor and employment boutique law firm where he represented management exclusively in a broad range of labor and employment matters.
Mr. Fealk has been listed in Michigan Super Lawyers since 2015 under Employment & Labor. He is a member of the American Employment Law Council and has been selected by his peers as a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers since 2018. He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan (Labor and Employment Section), the Oakland County Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section), the American Bar Association, and the Federal Bar Association-Eastern District of Michigan Chapter.
He is a frequent author and presenter to professional and employer groups and has served as co-editor of the Michigan Employment Law Letter from 2015 to present.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2015-present, Employment & Labor
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2021, Labor and Employment Law
- Fellow, American College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (2018-present)
- Member, American Employment Law Council
- State Bar of Michigan (Labor and Employment Section)
- Oakland County Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section)
- America Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association-Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Co-Editor, Michigan Employment Law Letter, 2015-present (contributing author, 1997-2014)
- Co-chapter editor, Workplace Harassment Law, 2nd ed. (ABA-BNA, 2018)
- Contributing author, Developing Labor Law, 6th ed. and cumulative supplements (ABA-BNA, 2004-present)
- Contributing author, Employment Discrimination Law, 5th ed. and cumulative supplements (ABA-BNA, 2012)
- Author, “Beyond Employment Handbooks,” Corp! magazine, July 29, 2010
- Co-author, The Role of External Law in Arbitration and Judicial Review, (BNA, 2005) (presented and published in the 2005 Proceedings of the National Academy of Arbitrators)
- Contributing author, Employment Litigation in Michigan, 2nd ed. and cumulative supplements (ICLE, 2004- )
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Covid-19 Employment Issues Webinars presented to numerous employer associations, April-June, 2020
- “Labor and Employment law update”, Blue Water H.R. Association
- “Responding to Retaliation Claims,” BLR Publications webinar, August 2019
- “Developments in NLRB Joint Employment Law,” Oakland County Bar Association Employment Law Committee Program, 2018
- “New Developments in NLRB Law,” Oakland County Bar Association Employment Law Committee, 2014
- “FMLA Master Class,” BLR Publications Seminar, May 2014
- “Five Things You Should Know About EEO Reporting,” Interactive HRhero Audio Conference, August 2012
- “Document, Document: Easy and Effective Ways to Master This Crucial HR Activity,” Interactive HRhero Audio Conference, April 2012
- “Sixth Circuit Employment Law Update,” American Corporate Counsel Association/Federal Bar Association-Eastern District of Michigan program
- Guest lecturer at the University of Michigan Law School, seminar on Advanced Topics before the NLRB
- 12/15/2021Updated Guidance from EEOC States Workers with COVID-19 May Be Protected Under ADA
- 12/13/202169 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2022
- 11/17/2021Unionized Employers Must Bargain About Vaccine Policies
- 08/16/202154 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2021
- 04/14/2021Workplace Law Lowdown | Employers Beware! Wage and Hour and NLRB Announce More Aggressive Enforcement
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Michigan State University, M.L.I.R. (Master of Labor & Industrial Relations)
- Michigan State University, B.S.
- American Bar Association
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA)
- State Bar of Michigan