Mr. Berman concentrates his practice in construction, contracts, real estate and business matters including claims and alternative dispute resolution. He also focuses on “green” building and “lean” construction matters.
Mr. Berman is active in several major construction industry associations. He a member of the Forum on the Construction Industry of the American Bar Association, the Washtenaw Contractors Association, and the Builders and Remodelers Association of Greater Ann Arbor. Mr. Berman is also a LEED Accredited Professional specializing in sustainable building systems and practices.
Mr. Berman practices in all state and federal courts. He was chairperson of the Commercial Litigation Committee of the Business Law Section from 1984 to 2000 and is an ex-officio chairperson of the Alternative Dispute Resolution and the Business Law sections of the State Bar of Michigan. Mr. Berman frequently acts as an arbitrator, mediator, and case evaluator.
Mr. Berman is certified by the State of Michigan and the Michigan Association of Home Builders as a licensing instructor for builders and remodelers and teaches a course entitled Contracts, Liability, and Risk Management.
Mr. Berman serves as chair of Bodman PLC’s Construction Practice Group.
Mr. Berman is a member of the Board of Directors of Fisher House Michigan and also serves as the organization’s legal counsel. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Builders and Remodelers Association of Greater Ann Arbor and the Ann Arbor Student Building Industry Program, Inc. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2022 under Construction Law and Michigan Super Lawyers 2020 under Construction Litigation. He has received the W. Nelson Vander Hyden Award for outstanding service to the construction industry (Washtenaw Contractors Association, 2004) and was named Associate of the Year by the Homebuilders Association of Washtenaw County (2004). He is listed as a 2022 “Top Lawyer” for Construction Law and Litigation-Construction in DBusiness magazine. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for the Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2007-2022, Construction Law
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2009, 2011-2022, Construction Law and Litigation – Construction
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2009-2020, Construction Litigation
- W. Nelson Vander Hyden Award, Washtenaw Contractors Association, 2004
- Associate of the Year, Homebuilders Association of Washtenaw County, 2004
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Accredited Professional
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Fisher House Michigan, Member, Board of Directors, and Legal Counsel
- Builders and Remodelers Association of Greater Ann Arbor, Member, Board of Directors
- Ann Arbor Student Building Industry Program, Inc., Member, Board of Directors
- Washtenaw Contractors Association, Member
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- “A closer look at the cost of building green,” annarbor.com (September 2, 2010)
- “The cost of building green – perception vs. reality,” annarbor.com (July 1, 2010)
- “LEED building certifications surpass 5,000,” annarbor.com (June 3, 2010)
- “Integrated Project Delivery is promising new direction for construction industry,” annarbor.com (May 6, 2010)
- “EPA lead paint rule requires certified renovators and work practice requirements,” annarbor.com (April 1, 2010)
- “Building Information Modeling’s 3-D imaging is changing construction industry,” annarbor.com (March 4, 2010)
- “Top 10 Resolutions for 2010: Real Estate and Construction,” annarbor.com (January 6, 2010)
- “ICC makes rapid progress on International Green Construction Code,” annarbor.com (December 3, 2009)
- “Ten tips for planning a successful green building project,” annarbor.com (November 5, 2009)
- “Mirror, mirror on the wall: Who’s the greenest of them all – and will green disclosure become the norm?,” annarbor.com (October 1, 2009)
- “Building ‘Green’ Involves Legal Risks: What to Know When Seeking LEED Certification,” Detroiter (November 2009)
- “Termination of Construction Projects Requires Caution,” Bodman Financial Crisis Response Team newsletter (December 2008)
- “Michigan Cracks Down on Unlicensed Contractors,” Bodman Field Notes (Winter 2008)
- The General Conditions of the Contract for Construction: A Matrix of Selected Clauses in Four Standard Forms Plus FAR, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, Division 2 (2006)
- AAA Commercial Rules Provide Emergency Relief for Construction Projects, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry (December 2005)
Speaking Engagements (Representative)
- “Covid-19 as it Relates to the Construction Industry including Force Majeure Clauses,” Washtenaw Contractors Association Webinar, April 2, 2020
- “Construction Contract Best Practices for Builders,” Home Builders Association of Greater Lansing seminar, Lansing, Michigan, October 30, 2019
- “Beyond the AIA Contract – Contracting Tips and Traps for the A/E Professional,” Presenter, AIA Leadership Development Program-The Art of Negotiation, December 7, 2018, Detroit, Michigan
- “Construction Contracts and Dispute Resolution – A Practical Approach,” Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys, June 23, 2018)
- “Economic Forecast – What’s in Store for 2017,” Moderator, Washtenaw Contractors Association, February 1, 2017, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- “What to do When the Work Stops – An Examination of the Terminations Provisions of the A201-2007,” American Bar Association, 2009
- 12/13/202169 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2022
- 08/19/202168 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2022
- 10/30/202076 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2021
- 09/18/202056 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2020
- 08/20/202061 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D.
- Case Western Reserve University, B.A.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Washtenaw County Bar Association
- Washtenaw County Circuit Court