Mr. Smith has significant experience in commercial litigation, including disputes with administrative agencies and appeals.
He has argued numerous appeals in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court, and the Michigan Court of Appeals, including an argument to an appeals court that resulted in overturning an $8 million product liability judgment against an automobile manufacturer. Mr. Smith has been recognized by Michigan Super Lawyers as a leading practitioner in the Appellate category.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006, Appellate
Mr. Smith’s recent matters include:
- Hamilton v AAA Michigan, 248 Mich App 535 ; 639 NW 2d 837 (2001)
- McGill v Automobile Association, 207 Mich App 402 ; 526 NW 2d 12 (1994)
- Gilroy v General Motors Corp., 438 Mich 330 ; 475 NW 2d 271 (1991)
- Michigan Consolidated Gas Co. v Panhandle Eastern Pipe Line Co., 887 F 2d 1295 (1989)
- Union Carbide Corp. v Public Service Com., 431 Mich 135 ; 428 NW 2d 322 (1988)
- U.S. v Graham Mortgage Corp., 740 F 2d 414 (1984)
- Schultz v Newsweek, Inc., 668 F 2d 911 (1982)
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- American Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- State Bar of Michigan