Mr. Walsh has broad litigation experience at both the trial and appellate levels. Representing both plaintiffs and defendants, Mr. Walsh has obtained successful jury verdicts in numerous cases. He has argued more than 100 appeals in both state and federal appellate courts.
Among the appeals Mr. Walsh has argued successfully are Shepherd Montessori Center Milan v. Ann Arbor Charter Twp., 486 Mich. 311 (2010), McCart v. J. Walter Thompson USA, Inc., 437 Mich. 109 (1991), Calhoun Cty. v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, 297 Mich. App 1 (2012), and Harris v. Auto Club Ins. Ass’n, 494 Mich. 462 (2013).
Mr. Walsh was lead litigation attorney for the Michigan Insurance Commissioner in the rehabilitation of the United States branch of Confederation Life Insurance Company (CLIC), a Canadian insurer. The U.S. branch of CLIC had liabilities of $6 billion, which made the matter the largest insolvency proceeding and most successful of any foreign insurer ever handled by a U.S. court. Despite an initial deficiency of over $1 billion, all policy holders of Confederation Life were paid in full. Mr. Walsh also obtained an injunction prohibiting policyholder suits against CLIC’s auditors, officers and others, to preserve those claims for the estate. Mr. Walsh later argued the appeal that upheld the injunction, Comm’r of Ins. v. Albino, 225 Mich. App. 547; 572 N.W.2d 21 (1997).
In addition to his work on Confederation Life, Mr. Walsh has more than 40 years of experience with complex litigation. He has represented Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan, Comerica Bank, and other major financial institutions in class action cases.
Mr. Walsh has represented the largest outdoor advertising companies within the State of Michigan for many years and also served as general counsel to the Michigan Outdoor Advertising Association.
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2024 under Commercial Litigation and Appellate Practice and in DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2018 under Appellate Law.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Walsh was a law clerk for two judges on the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2024, Commercial Litigation and Appellate Practice
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers,” 2013-2015, 2018, Appellate
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Obtained the reversal of an order revoking the probation of a criminal defendant who invoked the wrath of God on the judge who presided over the defendant’s trial.
- When the State of Michigan withheld funding for the Ann Arbor Film Festival because legislators found some films offensive, Mr. Walsh led the successful effort to reinstate funding.
- Filed an amicus brief with the Michigan Supreme Court in support of a mother with intellectual disabilities who is contesting the termination of her parental rights.
Mr. Walsh’s matters include:
- Winkler v. Marist Fathers of Detroit, Inc., 500 Mich 327 (2017)
- Harris v. Auto Club Ins. Ass’n, 494 Mich. 462; 835 N.W.2d 356 (2013).
- Calhoun Cty. v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, 297 Mich. App 1; 824 N.W.2d 202 (2012).
- CBS Outdoor, Inc. v. City of Royal Oak, No. 11-13887, 2012 WL 3759306 (E.D. Mich. Aug. 29, 2012).
- Lamar Advert. of Michigan, Inc. v. City of Utica, 819 F. Supp. 2d 657 (E.D. Mich. 2011).
- CBS Outdoor, Inc. v. City of Kentwood, No. 09-1016, 2010 WL 3942842 (W.D. Mich. Oct. 6, 2010).
- Shepherd Montessori Center Milan v. Ann Arbor Charter Twp., 486 Mich. 311; 783 N.W.2d 695 (2010).
- Int’l Outdoor, Inc. v. City of Romulus, No. 07-15125, 2008 WL 4792645 (E.D. Mich. Oct. 29, 2008).
- Lamar Advert. Co. v. Van Buren Twp., 178 F. App’x 498 (6th Cir. 2006).
- Tinman v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, 264 Mich. App. 546; 692 N.W.2d 58 (2004).
- Inge v. Rock Financial Corp., 388 F.3d 930 (6th Cir. 2004).
- Lamar Advert. Co. v. Twp. of Elmira, 328 F. Supp. 2d 725 (E.D. Mich. 2004).
- Outdoor Sys., Inc. v. City of Clawson, 262 Mich. App. 716; 686 N.W.2d 815 (2004) and 273 Mich. App. 204; 729 N.W.2d 893 (2006).
- Newton v. Bank West, 262 Mich. App. 434; 686 N.W.2d 491 (2004).
- Lamar Advert. Co. v. Charter Twp. of Clinton, 241 F. Supp. 2d 793 (E.D. Mich. 2003).
- 08/17/202370 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2024
- 08/23/202270 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2023
- 08/19/202168 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2022
- 08/20/202061 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List
- 08/15/201948 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2020 Best Lawyers in America List
- Louisiana State University Law School, J.D.
- Louisiana State University, B.A.