Justin Wheeler assists clients with all types of real estate matters, with a particular focus on complex commercial real estate leasing transactions.
He represents business and individual clients involved in real estate transactions ranging from significant personal residences to large commercial properties. He routinely reviews, drafts, and negotiates commercial leases for both lessors and lessees for office, retail, and industrial properties. Justin has significant experience drafting and negotiating commercial leases, amendments, extensions, assignments, subleases, SNDA’s, estoppels, and more. Justin also assists clients in the sale and acquisition of commercial real estate properties of all shapes and sizes.
Before joining Bodman, Justin practiced with a West Michigan business law firm where he chaired the business and real estate practice.
He is admitted to practice before the United State District Court for the Western District of Michigan.
As a law student, Justin was a Director and Business Editor for the Western Michigan University Cooley Law School Journal of Practical and Clinical Law.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Go-To Lawyer” for Real Estate and Condominium Law (2022)
- Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers 2022, Real Estate Law
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Commercial Alliance of REALTORS West Michigan
- Education Committee, Member
- GreenHome Institute
- Board of Directors, Board Member
- Governance Committee, Chair
- Rental Property Owners Association of Kent County
- Board of Directors, Past Director
- CE Instructor
- Preferred Counsel
- “How to Get Sued in Commercial Real Estate,” Commercial Alliance of Realtors, November 2021
- Co-Presenter, Commercial Real Estate Summit, Grand Rapids, Michigan, September 2021
- Co-Presenter, “Dealing with COVID — Closing, Conflicts, & EO Updates,” Commercial Alliance of Realtors, October 2020
- “Boundaries and Easements: Resolving Boundary Disputes,” HalfMoon Education Seminar, Lansing, Michigan, May 2019
- “Legalized Marijuana and Investment Property,” Rental Property Owners Association Annual Conference, Grand Rapids, Michigan, February 2019
- “Understanding Leases and Contract Law,” Rental Property Owners Association, Grand Rapids, Michigan, semi-annually
- “Evictions in Michigan,” Rental Property Owners Association, Grand Rapids, Michigan, semi-annually
- 11/30/2022Twelve Bodman Attorneys Included in 2022 Grand Rapids Top Lawyers List
- 07/05/2022Michigan Lawyers Weekly Names Justin R. Wheeler a "Go To Lawyer" for Real Estate and Condominium Law
- 05/12/2022Justin R. Wheeler Joins Bodman PLC Grand Rapids Office
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, J.D. magna cum laude
- Davenport University, B.B.A., Finance with honor