Matthew Smith is a member of Bodman’s Banking and Real Estate Practice Groups. He focuses his practice on commercial real estate finance, as well as complex real estate transactions.
Before joining Bodman in June 2021 he practiced in the Finance Practice Group of an Am Law 100 firm where he represented institutional and nonbank lenders, financial institutions, and servicers in a broad range of commercial real estate finance transactions, including commercial mortgage loan originations, repurchase and warehouse facilities, and special servicing and master servicing matters. He also practiced in the Global Finance Practice Group of an Am Law 50 firm focusing primarily on collateralized loan obligation securitization transactions.
Mr. Smith is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch in the area of Banking and Finance Law and in Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers in the area of Real Estate Law.
Mr. Smith received his J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center. He received a B.A. in political science and history from the University of Michigan.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2021-2022, Banking and Finance Law
- Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers 2022-2023, Real Estate Law
- Represented lenders and borrowers in connection with the origination of conduit and portfolio loans secured by various financial structures and collateral.
- Represented special servicers in connection with working out and modifying several commercial real estate loans during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Represented loan purchasers in connection with table funding transactions pursuant to Master Repurchase Agreements.
- Facilitated the due diligence review associated with a $250 million triple net (NNN) lease portfolio securitization.
- Structured and supervised offshore and onshore special purpose tax and risk retention vehicles for asset managers.
- Advised an international financial services company on matters related to state small loan, vehicle leasing, and retail installment contract statutes, regulations, and licensing matters.
- Reviewed a portfolio of mortgage related assets on behalf of an international financial institution in connection with the acquisition of an American bank for compliance with state and federal financial regulations and licensing requirements.
- 11/01/202313 Bodman Attorneys Included in 2023 Grand Rapids Top Lawyers List
- 11/30/2022Twelve Bodman Attorneys Included in 2022 Grand Rapids Top Lawyers List
- 08/31/2021Five Bodman PLC Grand Rapids Attorneys Honored by The Best Lawyers in America
- 08/19/202123 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2022
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.