Mr. Deitch focuses his practice in corporate law, real estate law, and government relations. He has substantial experience in corporate governance matters, mergers and acquisitions, and structuring joint venture relationships, with a particular focus on the automotive and general industrial sectors. He also advises clients on all of the legal issues arising out of real estate development, leasing, and finance.
As chair of Bodman's Automotive and Industrial Team, Mr. Deitch oversees the firm’s representation of automotive OEMs, Tier-1 suppliers, and other major industrial businesses on a global basis. His interdisciplinary team provides comprehensive legal services to automotive clients including corporate organization and governance, automotive commercial matters, litigation and dispute resolution, labor and employment matters, environmental matters, real estate transactions and management, corporate financial matters, and troubled supplier relations. Mr. Deitch has represented numerous foreign suppliers in connection with their entry into the U.S. market and has been a key advisor on cross-border M&A and joint venture transactions involving parties located throughout the U.S. and in Japan, India, Mexico, and Europe.
He is an Emeritus Regent of the University of Michigan, having served for 24 years. The University of Michigan is one of the premier research universities in the United States and home to Mcity, a world leader in the development and testing of automated vehicle technology.
As part of his diversified business practice, Mr. Deitch authored the ballot proposal which was later enacted into law as the Michigan Gaming Control and Revenue Act which authorized casino gaming in the City of Detroit.
Mr. Deitch has been active in public service and community organizations. He is an Emeritus Regent of the University of Michigan, having served for 24 years. He also served previously as vice chair of the Michigan Civil Service Commission, as treasurer of the Michigan Democratic Party, as vice chair of the Governor’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Welfare Reform, as a member of the National Advisory Council to the United States Small Business Administration, as a trustee of the Michigan Cancer Foundation, as a director of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, as a member of the National Advisory Board to the University of Michigan Museum of Art, and as a director of the National Conference for Community and Justice.
Mr. Deitch is a 2018 winner of the prestigious Lexology/International Law Office Client Choice Award for Corporate/M&A. The Los Angeles-based publication Lawdragon has named Mr. Deitch one of the "Top 500 Dealmakers" in the United States. Mr. Deitch is listed in IFLR1000 2020 under Mergers & Acquisitions, in The Best Lawyers in America 2022 under Corporate Law, in Chambers USA 2021 under Corporate/M&A, and in Michigan Super Lawyers 2007-2021 under Business/Corporate. He is listed as a 2021 "Top Lawyer" for Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Law by DBusiness magazine. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Lexology/International Law Office Client Choice Award, 2018
- IFLR1000 2020, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Chambers USA 2021, Corporate/M&A
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2003-2022, Corporate Law
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2009-2016, 2018-2021, M&A, Corporate Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2021, Business/Corporate
- Lawdragon "Top 500 Dealmakers"
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
University of Michigan, Emeritus Member, Board of Regents
- State Bar of Michigan
- Corporate Law Section
- Real Property Law Section
- 08/19/202168 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2022
- 08/16/202154 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2021
- 06/08/2021Chambers USA 2021 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan's Top Business Law Firms
- 10/30/202076 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2021
- 09/18/202056 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2020
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School
- B.A., University of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan