Michael Costello concentrates his practice in commercial and corporate law and litigation. He provides his clients with deep expertise and insight into a broad range of legal and business issues having served for 23 years as general counsel to a publicly-traded company.
Mr. Costello leverages this experience to provide efficient and effective counsel to large businesses in a variety of industries as well as high net worth individuals and their closely-held companies. He frequently advises board members and executives on sensitive issues related to corporate governance, regulatory compliance, and strategic transactions. He is outside general counsel to a publicly-traded pharmaceutical company and serves other businesses as special counsel for corporate, insurance, and litigation matters.
As General Counsel of Meadowbrook Insurance Group, Mr. Costello managed the legal department and all of its activities for this large, complex, and highly-regulated company. His primary activities and accomplishments at Meadowbrook included the following:
- Managed and supervised litigation against the company. Successfully defended two shareholder class actions, SEC inquiries, coverage and bad faith litigation, reinsurance disputes, and significant employment and commercial cases across the United States.
- Managed the public company’s HR, claims, and internal audit departments.
- Led the corporate legal department through thirteen corporate acquisitions, two public company mergers, and several insurance agency acquisitions.
- Managed compliance with all SEC securities filing requirements.
- Completed all insurance holding company filings and led responses to all regulatory examinations.
- Successfully completed a corporate recapitalization, secondary offering, convertible debt offering, credit agreements, and the sale of the company.
Mr. Costello is active and has held leadership positions with a number of professional and charitable organizations, including the following:
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Dean’s Advisory Board Member—(2016-present)
- Oakland Hills Country Club Evans Scholar Committee—(2016-present)
- American Society of Corporate Secretaries—Member
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Alumni Association—Past President and Director
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Michigan Chapter—Past President and Director
- ACC Foundation Michigan Chapter—Past President and Director
- Insurance Institute of Michigan—Past Director and Executive Committee Member
- Federation of Defense Counsel—Past Member
- Oakland County Bar Foundation—Past Director
Immediately before joining Bodman, Mr. Costello was with a highly-regarded business law and litigation boutique firm based in Southfield, Michigan. Before joining Meadowbrook, he practiced corporate, insurance, and employment law for eight years as an associate and shareholder with a large southeast Michigan business law firm.
Mr. Costello serves as an Adjunct Professor at WMU-Cooley Law School, where he teaches courses in Insurance and Reinsurance Law as part of the Insurance LL.M. program. He has presented at many conferences and programs hosted by the Association of Corporate Counsel, the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, and the Insurance Institute of Michigan, on topics related to insurance law, employment law, and corporate governance.
His numerous accolades include recognition as a Leader in the Law by Michigan Lawyers Weekly (2008) and the Time & Talent Award for volunteer contributions to the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (2012).
Honors, Awards and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2021-2022, Commercial Litigation
- DBusiness "Top Lawyers" 2021, Insurance Law
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Time & Talent Award (2012)
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly "Leaders in the Law" (2008)
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- University of Detroit School of Law Dean's Advisory Board, member (2016-present)
- Oakland Hills Country Club Evans Scholar Committee, member (2016-present)
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Alumni Association, past president and director)
- ACC Foundation of Michigan, past president and director
- Oakland County Bar Foundation, past director
- American Society of Corporate Secretaries, member
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Michigan Chapter, past president and director
- Insurance Institute of Michigan, past director and executive committee member
- Federation of Defense Counsel, past member
- Co-Author (with Michelle Thurber Czapski), "COVID-10 Impact on the Insurance Industry," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, May 2020
- Co-Author (with Michelle Thurber Czapski), "COVID-19 Impact On Business Insurance Coverage," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- Adjunct Professor, Western Michigan University-Cooley Law School (Insurance and Reinsurance Law)
- 08/19/202168 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2022
- 10/30/202076 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2021
- 08/20/202061 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List
- 01/24/2020Bodman Year in Review - 2019 Edition
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D.
- Marquette University, B.A.