Bodman Participates in 2021 MLK Day of Service: A Recap
Bodman’s offices were closed on January 18, 2021 in honor of the 2021 MLK Day of Service federal holiday. While our offices were closed, many of our people and their families devoted their time and attention to activities which celebrated the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s lifelong dedication to justice, liberty and service.
While the pandemic prevented us from pursuing most hands-on volunteer activities this year, the firm encouraged all members of the Bodman family to make the 18th "a day on, not a day off.” Our people responded by participating in virtual volunteer MLK Day community service opportunities and educational events. Some of those service opportunities and events are summarized below Thanks to all who participated and helped carry on Dr. King’s Legacy!
Service - Bodman volunteers participated in the following service projects:
- Donated to the MSU Stuff the Library Volunteer Project. Our volunteers provided over $1075 in cash and book donations and helped MSU fill libraries in local schools with over 73 books featuring diverse characters and diversity issues.
- Ran a virtual MLK 5K run ( https://www.virtualrunevents.com/product/i-have-a-dream/). 20% of MLK Day race proceeds went to the Equal Justice Initiative;
- Dropped off a supplies to Detroit Community Fridge and winter clothing to Neighborhood Service Organization as an act of service; and
- Picked up trash along Michigan Avenue (immediately next to the Rouge River).
Events - Bodman participants also attended the following events:
- Charles H. Wright Museum MLK Event;
- The Simon Wiesenthal Center – Museum of Tolerance: The Right to Dream
- University of Michigan MLK Keynote Speakers Symposium
- University of Michigan MLK Children & Youth Program
- MLK Day at the U of M Detroit Center - Eye on Detroit virtual event; and
- Word in Action Presents: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Tribute – “Look How Far We’ve Come,”
Our participants also shared the following sentiments:
- “Left with the conviction that we have much work yet to do.”
- “Great event, great speakers and I look forward to finding ways that I can help these organizations in the future.”
- It was amazing to see the range of cultures and events represented in the book selections for the Stuff the Library Project. It’s great to know that young people will have access to so many educational and inspiring books as a result of this effort.”