Bodman to Celebrate 2021 MLK Day of Service with Volunteer and Educational Activities
In honor of the 2021 MLK Day of Service federal holiday, Bodman will be closed on Monday, January 18, 2021. This national day of service celebrates the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s lifelong dedication to justice, liberty and service.
While the pandemic prevents us from pursuing hands-on volunteer activities this year, we are encouraging everyone at Bodman to make the 18th "a day on, not a day off” by participating in virtual volunteer MLK Day community service opportunities and educational events. We invite all of our clients, friends, and followers to join us in these activities.
Below are links to a number of those volunteer opportunities and events.
- MSU Stuff the Library Volunteer Project: Help fill libraries in local schools with books with diverse characters and diversity issues. You can donate by making a monetary contribution or by donating books through Amazon. To donate, go to https://givingto.msu.edu/crowdpower/dr-martin-luther-kingcommemorative-celebration or https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/32D6R8NFOTYLM. In January, volunteers will record themselves reading these books for young children.
- United Way of Northwest Michigan volunteer projects: You can outreach to seniors and/or send thank you notes to health care teams, grocery workers, delivery drivers, and postal carriers. More details at: https://unitedwaynwmi.galaxydigital.com/need/index?q=&age=&agency_id=&county=&min_available_slots=&dateOn=&distance=&zip=&need_impact_area=&need_init_id=3725&qualification_id=&meta=&meta=&meta=&meta=&allowTeams=&ug_id=&s=1
- U of M - MLK Symposium Remote Events: https://oami.umich.edu/um-mlk-symposium/events/
- U of M - MLK Children & Youth Program: Monday, January 18, 2021 from 9am-11 via Zoom. Registration at https://sites.google.com/umich.edu/mlk-children-and-youth/home
- MLK Day at the U of M Detroit Center - Eye on Detroit virtual event: January 18, 2021 from 1pm-2:30pm. For more information and to RSVP visit: https://events.umich.edu/event/79637
- Charles H. Wright Museum MLK Event: January 18, 2021 at 10:00am, featuring presentations by prominent civil rights activists, a gospel performance by Ebenezer Missionary Church, presentations from youth from Teen Hype and Detroit's Police Athletic League. More information at: https://www.thewright.org/events/legacy-dr-martin-luther-king-jr
- GVSU presents: "The Legacy of MLK: Purpose, Truth and Justice." Monday January 18, 2021 from 6:30-8p.m. Yamiche Alcindor (the White House correspondent for PBS NewsHour and an NBC and MSNBC political contributor) will give the keynote presentation at 7pm during the 35th Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration program for the West Michigan community. Register for this free event to later receive a link to the Zoom webinar: https://www.gvsu.edu/gvnext/2020/award-winning-journalist-will-give-virtual-address-during-annual-mlk-commemoration-event-.htm
- Word in Action Presents: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Tribute – “Look How Far We’ve Come.” Join Word in Action on Facebook Live on January 18, 2021 at 8:00pm as they honor the life and the legacy of the great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. For more information visit: https://www.facebook.com/ApostleClarenceLangston/photos/a.189372241162310/3201241813308656