Mr. Bagdady assists companies and their executives in commercial litigation disputes, intellectual property and brand protection counseling and litigation, and when faced with regulatory investigations or enforcement actions.
Mr. Bagdady works on intellectual property and brand protection matters as part of Bodman’s Intellectual Property and Brand Protection team. This includes litigating when necessary, proactively monitoring infringing activity, and helping clients take down infringing or harmful content. Mr. Bagdady has also litigated intellectual property cases in federal courts throughout the country. This has included defending against claims of infringement as well as helping companies enforce their rights against infringers, cybersquatters, and competitors engaging in unfair business practices.
Mr. Bagdady also has extensive experience representing clients who are the targets of, or otherwise become involved in, government investigations including investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice, or FINRA. Mr. Bagdady has experience successfully litigating several high-profile cases against the SEC. Mr. Bagdady also helps companies who have received a tip or internal report of misconduct such as financial manipulation, accounting fraud, FCPA violations, or executive improprieties, by conducting internal corporate investigations to identify potential problems and their scope. This has included investigations into domestic conduct as well as conduct occurring in Asia, South America, and Central America.
In his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Bagdady has represented clients in disputes related to stock repurchase agreements, asset purchase agreements, investment agreements, and other contract matters. He has experience representing early-stage companies in business disputes including litigation with founders or other equity holders. Mr. Bagdady helps clients enforce contractual rights and, when possible, successfully resolve contractual disputes prior to litigation.
Prior to joining Bodman, Mr. Bagdady practiced for several years in the Washington, D.C. office of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. Mr. Bagdady also worked as a legal intern for the United States Office of Government Ethics.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Benchmark Litigation 2017-2019, "40 & Under Hot List"
- Benchmark Litigation 2017-2020, Local Litigation Star
- Michigan Rising Stars 2018-2019, Business Litigation
- Author, "The SEC is Cracking Down on. . . Severance Agreements," Res Ipsa Loquitor (Washtenaw County Bar Association) (2016)
- Author, "Administrative Creep – How the SEC is Taking its Act In-House," Res Ipsa Loquitur (Washtenaw County Bar Association) (2015)
- Co-author, "Corporate Whistleblowing—Key Issues in Responding to Possible Violations," The Review of Securities and Commodities Regulation (2014)
- Co-author, "Gabelli and for Whom the Clock Tolls," Law360 (2013)
- Washtenaw County Bar Association
- Past Chair, Federal Practice Section
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- UnitedWayofWashtenaw County
- Board of Directors, 2019
- Member, Audit Committee
- Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum
- Member, Strategic Planning Committee
- Worked on two briefs submitted to the United States Supreme Court in pro bono matters.
- Represented guardian ad litem in family court proceeding resulting in successful formation of legal guardianship for a young girl.
- Represented, together with the ACLU, public housing residents in litigation against the Housing Authority of the City of Annapolis over policies unlawfully banning residents’ guests and family members.
- Worked on domestic and overseas internal corporate investigations involving suspected financial manipulation and potential violations of the FCPA’s internal controls provisions.
- Represented large health care company in litigation alleging fraud and breach of contract in connection with purchase of a business and defective software.
- Represent chain of international restaurants in trademark litigation against common law trademark holder.
- Represented national advertising firm in litigation alleging misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference with contractual relations, and breach of contract.
- Defeated, at the motion to dismiss stage, a large class action for medical monitoring brought against a manufacturer of PVC piping and other PVC products.
- Represented former officer of a large software company in an SEC enforcement action alleging improper stock option backdating.
- Represented Silicon Valley startup in action brought by its founder alleging breach of a stock repurchase agreement. Obtained a complete victory after arbitration, including award of attorney’s fees.
- Represented former officer of large, national mortgage lender in SEC enforcement action and in private securities class actions alleging fraud.
- Represented former CFO of a financial media company in SEC enforcement action alleging improper revenue recognition and failure to maintain appropriate internal controls.
- Represented former executive of large, public software company in SEC enforcement action alleging improper revenue recognition through barter transactions and undisclosed side letters.
- Represented financial analyst in FINRA enforcement proceeding.
- Represented individual defendant in copyright infringement case focused on popular television series allegedly based on the plaintiff’s manuscript.
- Worked on amicus brief submitted to the United States Supreme Court in cases focused on appropriate test for “exceptional case” fee awards in patent litigation.
- Represented several companies and executives in connection with SEC investigations, inquiries, and enforcement proceedings brought either administratively or in federal court.
- 02/28/2020Benchmark Litigation Names Bodman its Michigan Law Firm of the Year for 2020
- 10/24/2019Bodman "Highly Recommended" in Benchmark Litigation 2020
- 09/03/201949 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019
- 08/01/2019Four Bodman Attorneys Named to Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List
- 11/16/2018Bodman PLC “Highly Recommended” in Benchmark Litigation 2019
- University of Pennsylvania, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Washtenaw County Bar Association