Sarah J. Williams serves as corporate counsel to a variety of businesses in matters involving mergers, acquisitions, corporate governance, commercial contracts, corporate finance, and debt and equity financing (private equity, venture capital, and angel investments). She frequently works with technology-based startup businesses in the vibrant Detroit and Ann Arbor markets and with businesses in the aviation services industry. Sarah also practices municipal law and serves as township attorney for Ann Arbor Township, Michigan.
Her general corporate expertise includes handling business formation (corporation, limited liability company, and partnership) and representation of emerging and other companies from inception through transactions involving intellectual property, venture capital financing, and ultimate sale. Sarah is part of a Bodman team that has represented a significant number of the start-up and spin-off companies that have recently licensed technology from the University of Michigan.
Sarah has advised both buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions ranging from less than $10 million to over $100 million involving businesses in the technology, health care, professional services, software development, foundry, and general manufacturing industries, among others. She also advises private and public companies regarding federal and state securities law matters and has represented clients in securities offerings, preparation of proxy statements, periodic reports, and ownership reports.
She serves as outside general counsel to a major aviation services company that offers aircraft management, maintenance, avionics, and FBO services. As general counsel, she drafts and negotiates all commercial contracts, charter agreements, and management agreements, and is responsible for regulatory compliance matters and complex corporate transactions.
As part of her diversified business practice, Sarah advises corporate clients that operate commercial vessels on Jones Act and other general maritime law compliance matters. She also negotiates and documents transactions involving vessel charters, contracts of carriage, and vessel acquisitions and divestitures.
Sarah is recognized by DBusiness Magazine as a 2020 "Top Lawyer" for Municipal Law. She was listed as a "Rising Star" in Michigan Super Lawyers 2014 under Business Law.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2020, Municipal Law
- Michigan Rising Stars 2014, Business Law
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- The Women's Center of Southeastern Michigan, past Member, Board of Directors and past Chair of the Governance Committee
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 09/06/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | What Does The "Mega Rule" Mean For Nursing Facilities?
- 06/01/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | MICHIGAN SUPREME COURT STRIPS HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS OF CAUSE OF ACTION AGAINST NO-FAULT INSURERS
- 03/30/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | NEW MICHIGAN LAW CHANGES THE WAY PHYSICIANS AND PHYSICIAN’S ASSISTANTS WORK TOGETHER
- 03/22/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | NEW MICHIGAN TELEHEALTH LAW TAKES EFFECT MARCH 29: Law Provides Guidance Where Current Law Falls Silent
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Michigan Townships Association
- Michigan Venture Capital Association
- State Bar of Michigan