Mr. Graves is the Chair of the Workplace Law Practice Group. He focuses his practice in labor and employment law. He represents and counsels private and public employers in industries ranging from raw materials to software development.
Mr. Graves’s expertise includes handling complex traditional labor issues, including union organizing, labor contract negotiations, grievance administration, restructuring/relocation of unionized businesses and handling unfair labor practice charges, under both the NLRA and RLA. On a daily basis, Mr. Graves handles a broad spectrum of employment matters such as pre-hire screening, discrimination, harassment, wage-hour, policy administration, substance abuse, FMLA, discipline, whistleblower, retaliation, discharge, and plant closings/reductions in force. Mr. Graves is also experienced in the professional staff privileging and peer review issues unique to the health care industry.
Licensed to practice in both Illinois and Michigan, Mr. Graves represents employers in courts and before various state and federal agencies, including the EEOC, IDHR, MDCR, MERC, and NLRB. Mr. Graves frequently presents seminars and provides training on labor and employment issues for industry groups, human resources associations, and individual employers.
Mr. Graves is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2024 and Chambers USA 2023 as one of Michigan’s leading labor & employment practitioners. He is also listed as a 2022 “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness Magazine.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Graves practiced at a local law firm specializing in labor and employment matters. In law school, he served as articles editor of the Northwestern Journal of International Law & Business. He was also a recipient of the James B. Angell Scholar Award at the University of Michigan.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2024, Employment Law-Management
- Chambers USA 2023, Labor & Employment
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2018 and 2020-2022, Labor and Employment Law
- Co-Author, “Feeling Sick or Exposed – “Essential” Employees Can Avoid Work, Avoid Discipline And Get Paid,” Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, April 2020
- Co-Author, “EEOC Issues Guidelines Concerning COVID-19 Pandemic,” Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Q&A – Coronavirus and Confidentiality Concerns,” Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Q&A – Coronavirus and Safety,” Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Q&A – Coronavirus FMLA, ADA and Attendance Implications,” Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Q&A – Coronavirus FMLA, ADA and Attendance Implications,” Bodman Workplace Law Lowdown, March 2020
- Co-presenter (with Melissa M. Tetreau), “Managing Discipline and Performance in a Post Pandemic World,” Michigan Public Employers Labor Relations Association, March 17, 2023
- “Hot Button Items: 2022 Survey of 2021 Workplace Priorities and Trends,” Blue Water Human Resources Association (January 18, 2023)
- Co-presenter (with Amanda McSween Empey), “2022 Employment Law Update,” Michigan Chamber of Commerce (September 21, 2022)
- U.P. Labor-Management Council, Inc. 2022 Annual Conference, March 3, 2022
- Radio interview on Can Employers Require Employees to be Vaccinated?, The Lucy Ann Lance Show, 1290 WLBY-AM (Ann Arbor, Michigan), March 2, 2021
- “Best Practices for Workforce Management,” Michigan Green Industry Association, March 2, 2021
- Radio interview on COVID-19 Issues for Employers, The Lucy Ann Lance Show, 1290 WLBY-AM (Ann Arbor, Michigan), June 30, 2020
- “Employment Law for Managers,” Michigan Chamber of Commerce seminar, Lansing, Michigan, November 12, 2019 and Southfield, Michigan, December 11, 2019
- Michigan Association of Non-Public Schools (MANS) Law Day, Lansing, Michigan, June 27, 2019
- Labor Law section of Michigan Infrastructure & Transportation Association (MITA) “Future Leaders” program, Okemos, Michigan, June 11, 2019
- “Employment Law for Managers,” Michigan Chamber of Commerce seminar, Novi, Michigan, April 16, 2019.
- “Existing Laws Affecting HR Professionals,” Northeast Michigan HR Association seminar, Alpena, Michigan, February 27, 2019.
- “Employment Law for Managers” and “Properly Documenting Employee Discipline,” Michigan Chamber of Commerce seminar, Lansing, Michigan, November 8, 2018.
- “Managing Discipline and Employee Complaints: #Me Too and Other Workplace Issues,” MISHRM Employment Law Summit, Traverse City, Michigan, October 17, 2018.
- 08/17/202370 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2024
- 06/29/2023Chambers USA 2023 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan’s Top Business Law Firms
- 03/02/2023NLRB Narrows Permissible Terms in Severance Agreements
- 10/05/2022NLRB Telegraphs Possible New Standard for Employee Email Use
- 06/17/2022Chambers USA 2022 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan's Top Business Law Firms
- Northwestern University Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- State Bar of Michigan