Andy Balazer concentrates his intellectual property practice on counseling clients in patent matters, including global patent portfolio strategy, obtaining utility and design patent protection, addressing infringement risk, handling licensing and transactional matters, and consulting on other IP issues.
He regularly counsels clients, from the world’s most widely-recognized technology companies to emerging startups, in a range of industries and technical disciplines, including consumer electronics, automotive technologies, medical devices, consumer products, and energy storage and management.
Before joining Bodman in October 2021, Andy was a shareholder in the Ann Arbor office of a nationally recognized patent and intellectual property law firm. He began his private practice legal career in the intellectual property department of an AmLaw50 global law firm where he focused on patent counselling and preparation/prosecution with a particular emphasis on mechanical and electromechanical technologies.
Andy holds an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering. Before becoming an attorney, he was an engineer in the automotive industry, working in chassis quality and development for Ford Motor Company and in automotive safety for Delphi Corporation.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2024, Intellectual Property and Patent Law
- 11/15/202377 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2024
- 06/14/2023Who is an Inventor?
- 04/14/2023Opt Out Your European Patents as Unified Patent Court Comes Into Force
- 03/17/2023Patent & Trademark Office to Begin Issuing Electronic Patent Grants
- 10/25/2021Experienced Patent and Intellectual Property Attorney Andrew S. Balazer Joins Bodman PLC
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.S.M.E., magna cum laude
- United States Patent and Trademark Office