Brian R. Trumbauer focuses his practice in the area of debtor-creditor rights and bankruptcy, with a particular emphasis on representing banks and other financial institutions in loan workouts, commercial bankruptcy cases and troubled credit situations.
He has represented secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, trustees, creditors’ committees and other interested parties in bankruptcy cases and debtor-creditor disputes. He also represents Tier 1 automotive companies and other manufacturing companies in bankruptcy and troubled supplier situations.
Mr. Trumbauer has served as a member of a standing Advisory Committee to the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and on a subcommittee that has worked with the bench on various revisions to the Local Rules for that Court. He also lectures frequently on bankruptcy law and debtor-creditor issues.
He is listed in Chambers USA 2019 as a Recognized Practitioner under Banking & Finance: Bankruptcy. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2024 under Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation-Bankruptcy. He is listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2023 under Creditor/Debtor Rights and as a DBusiness Magazine 2022 “Top Lawyer” for Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights Law. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2019, Recognized Practitioner, Banking & Finance: Bankruptcy – Michigan
- The Best Lawyers in America 2010-2024, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation-Bankruptcy
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2010-2015, 2017, 2019-2022, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2013-2023, Creditor Debtor Rights
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Detroit Bar Association
- Debtor-Creditor Section, Co-Chair (2008-2009)
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Bankruptcy Committee
- Advisory Committee to the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Member
- “Local Bankruptcy Rules: Michigan (E.D. Mich.),” Thomson Reuters-Practical Law Local Rules Toolkit (October 2018).
- 09/19/202358 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2023
- 08/17/202370 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2024
- 12/05/202268 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2023
- 08/23/202270 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2023
- 08/12/202263 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2022
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Marquette University, magna cum laude, B.A.
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan