Ms. Sahu concentrates her practice in representing financial institutions in general commercial loan transactions and real estate transactions, including single lender, syndicated and second lien loan transactions and small business administration guaranteed loans.
Ms. Sahu has extensive experience structuring, negotiating, and documenting secured and unsecured commercial loans to borrowers in a variety of industries.
She has particular expertise in lending transactions involving venture capital-backed emerging and established companies in the technology, energy, and life science industries. She has more than a decade of experience in transactions with companies in all stages of growth from seed/early stage to established pre-public stage companies.
Ms. Sahu has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2013 in the field of Banking and Finance, was listed in Michigan Rising Stars 2008-2012 under Banking, and is listed as a 2021 “Top Lawyer” for Banking and Financial Services by DBusiness Magazine.
Crain’s Detroit Business honored Ms. Sahu as a member of its 2021 class of “Notable Women in Law.” In 2019, Lawyers of Color named Ms. Sahu to its “Nation’s Best” list of distinguished attorneys and in 2018, Michigan Lawyers Weekly named Ms. Sahu to its annual class of “Women in Law.” In 2008, Ms. Sahu received Michigan Lawyers Weekly‘s “Up & Coming Lawyers” award which recognizes practitioners whose accomplishments set them apart from their peers in the first ten years in practice.
She is a member of Bodman’s Executive Committee, which manages the firm’s day to day business affairs. She is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and the State Bar of California and serves on the Michigan State Bar Foundation’s Community Investment Committee.
Ms. Sahu serves as Vice President and Treasurer of the board of directors of New Paradigm College Prep school and volunteers with VIP Mentoring. She also serves on the board of directors of the Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion and as a board member and Chair, Development for Gleaners Community Food Bank. Ms. Sahu is a past board member of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Risk Management Association, a past board member of African-American Attorneys in Downtown Firms (AAADF), and the former vice president and treasurer of the board of directors of University YES Academy in Detroit.
Before joining Bodman, Ms. Sahu worked as a corporate financial analyst for NationsBank (now Bank of America) in Charlotte, North Carolina. In law school, Ms. Sahu was the co-article selection coordinator for the Michigan Journal of Gender and Law.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Crain’s Detroit Business “Notable Women in Law” 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2022, Banking and Finance
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2014, 2015, 2019-2021, Banking & Financial Services
- Lawyers of Color “Nation’s Best” List, 2019
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Women in Law” 2018
- Michigan Rising Stars 2008-2012, Banking
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Up & Coming Lawyers” 2008
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion, Member, Board of Directors
- New Paradigm College Prep, Vice President and Treasurer, Board of Directors
- Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan, Member, Board of Directors and Chair, Development
- VIP Mentoring, Volunteer Mentor
- YES Academy (Detroit), former Vice President and Treasurer, Board of Directors
- Michigan State Bar Foundation
- Member, Community Investment Committee
- 12/13/202169 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2022
- 08/19/202168 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2022
- 04/19/2021Crain’s Detroit Business Honors Four Bodman Attorneys as Notable Women in Law
- 12/18/2020Bodman Attorney Damali A. Sahu Joins Michigan Roundtable Board of Directors
- 10/30/202076 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2021
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Florida A&M University, magna cum laude, B.S.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Michigan