We are saddened to report that David C. Stone, a member of Bodman and the former chair of the firm’s Business Practice Group, passed away on October 13, 2020.
David was a loyal friend and colleague whose legal career spanned more than 40 years. He joined Bodman in 2004 after founding and growing his own law firm. David made an immediate positive impact at Bodman. He added depth and expertise to our Business Practice Group and brought in many distinguished clients whom we continue to serve.
His practice and talents were multi-faceted. In addition to being a consummate corporate counselor he was instrumental in the growth of our Health Care practice and represented many business clients in connection with their personal legal affairs. He was an important part of Bodman’s firm culture and hosted many outings and social events for colleagues and clients alike.
David was also active outside of Bodman, serving on the boards of a number of charitable and professional organizations.
We will miss David and his many contributions to the firm. As a mentor to a generation of Bodman attorneys, his skills and influence will live on at Bodman for decades to come. On behalf of the entire Bodman family, we extend our sincere condolences to David’s wife, Norma, and to their children, Jonathan (Emily) and Elizabeth.
David’s firm biography, which provides additional details of his many career accomplishments, appears below:
Mr. Stone has developed a significant corporate law and corporate finance practice, concentrating on mergers and acquisitions, buyouts, recapitalizations, and lending for public and private companies.
He has experience in representing clients in the apparel, automotive, communications, construction, defense, energy, healthcare, and software industries. He also has significant experience in the areas of income, estate, and gift tax planning for high net worth individuals.
Mr. Stone has been a frequent speaker on business succession planning, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and estate planning.
Mr. Stone is the former leader of Bodman’s Business Practice Group and currently serves on the boards of numerous for profit and not for profit entities. He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan (Finance and Business Law; Health Care; Probate and Estate Planning and Taxation sections), the American Bar Association (Corporation Banking and Business Law; Real Property; and Probate and Trust Law sections), and the Financial and Estate Planning Council of Detroit.
Mr. Stone is an emeritus member of the Board of Visitors of the Duke University Divinity School. He is the recipient of the Dean’s Award for Service and Philanthropy from the Duke University Divinity School and the recipient of an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Detroit Mercy.
Mr. Stone has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 under Corporate Law, in DBusiness Magazine as a 2020 “Top Lawyer” under Commercial and Corporate Law, and in Michigan Super Lawyers under Business/Corporate. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2019-2021, Corporate Law
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers,” 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018-2020, Commercial and Corporate
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Financial and Estate Planning Council of Detroit
- Duke University Divinity School, Board of Visitors, Emeritus Member
- State Bar of Michigan
- Finance and Business Law Section
- Health Care Section
- Probate and Estate Planning Section
- Taxation Section
- American Bar Association
- Corporation Banking and Business Law Section
- Real Property Section
- Probate and Trust Law Sections
- 08/20/202061 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 08/15/201948 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2020 Best Lawyers in America List
- 11/01/201842 Bodman Attorneys named to “Top Lawyers 2019” by DBusiness Magazine
- 08/15/201845 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2019 Best Lawyers in America List
- Wayne State University, Graduate Studies in Taxation
- Detroit College of Law, J.D.
- Wayne State University, Graduate Studies in Finance and International Business
- Michigan State University, B.S.