Mr. Dillon concentrates his practice in mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, investment and finance, tax and business structuring, commercial transactions and related tax issues.
He represents public and private companies, emerging businesses, and investors. Mr. Dillon’s work customarily involves conducting legal due diligence, structuring transactions, and preparing and negotiating definitive agreements.
Mr. Dillon is a certified public accountant and advises clients on the financial and tax implications of corporate transactions. Before joining Bodman, he was a manager in the tax department of an international accounting firm.
Mr. Dillon is a member of the American Bar Association (Business Law Section). He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2023 under Corporate and in DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2022 under Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law. He has been listed multiple times in Michigan Super Lawyers under Business/Corporate. Mr. Dillon is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2018-2023, Corporate
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2010-2014, 2016, 2018-2022, Antitrust, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2006, 2012-2013, Business/Corporate
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Some recent examples of Mr. Dillon’s representations include:
- Representing automotive suppliers and other manufacturers in vendor relations matters including drafting and negotiating supply agreements, terms and conditions, and other contracts involving all phases of the supply chain.
- Representing Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan in its acquisition of M-Care.
- Representing purchasers and sellers of businesses in sales pursuant to Section 363(a) of the Bankruptcy Code and Section 338(h)(10) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Representing shareholders of S corporations in the sale of control to private equity investors that are ineligible shareholders (S corporation inversion structure).
- Representing Meadowbrook Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE) in its acquisition of privately held companies and in its acquisition of ProCentury Corporation (NASDAQ).
- Representing manufacturers in their acquisition of other businesses, including manufacturing businesses in the health care, oil and gas, and aerospace industries.
- Representing a vehicle manufacturer regulated under state vehicle dealer acts.
- Representing auto suppliers in the disposition of non-core businesses.
- Representing shareholders of an international manufacturer in the sale of their stock to a Japanese manufacturer.
- Representing private equity firms in their acquisition of technology, health care and Internet-based businesses.
- Representing both buyers and sellers in connection with Hart-Scott-Rodino antitrust matters.
- Representing health care-based companies in sales to private equity-backed management services organizations.
- Representing foreign companies in structuring operations in the U.S. and in their acquisition of U.S. businesses.
- 08/23/202270 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2023
- 12/13/202169 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2022
- 08/19/202168 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2022
- 10/30/202076 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2021
- 08/20/202061 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List
- Northwestern University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Florida, M. Acc. (with a concentration in tax)
- University of Florida, B.S., with high honors
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan