John Below is a labor and employment and general business litigation attorney. His practice is concentrated in resolving employment, complex financial services and general commercial disputes.
John aggressively solves problems and wins cases for his clients, which include, large employers in the construction and health care industries, regional and national banks, and major manufacturing and industrial companies. John partners with his clients and together, they forge and execute strategies for success.
John’s primary area of litigation and dispute resolution expertise is state and federal litigation of employment law matters, including:
- Discrimination litigation and arbitrations
- Wrongful discharge litigation and arbitrations
- Non-compete and confidentiality agreement litigation
- Traditional labor matters
- Administrative proceedings before the EEOC and MDCR
He also has extensive experience in banking and commercial litigation involving foreclosures, receiverships, contract and loan disputes, fraud, lender liability, bankruptcy, and complex construction litigation and arbitrations.
John has been listed since 2014 in Michigan Super Lawyers under Employment and Labor. He is listed in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2014-2017 and 2019-2022 under Labor and Employment Law and The Best Lawyers in America 2022-2023 under Commercial Litigation. He is AV-Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell. He is a frequent author and presenter on employment law and banking litigation topics and provides legal compliance training for management and executive leadership.
He is a member of the Oakland County Bar Association, Macomb County Bar Association, and the Oakland County Inns of Court program. He is also active with a number of industry and business organizations including the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, Michigan Bankers Association, the Community Bankers of Michigan, the Construction Association of Michigan (CAM), and the Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association (MITA).
In law school, John served as a Senior Staff Editor of the University of Detroit Law Review.
John has served for more than ten years on The Salvation Army Detroit Metropolitan Advisory Board and serves on its Executive Committee.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America 2022-2023, Commercial Litigation
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2014-2022, Employment and Labor
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2014-2017, 2019-2022 Labor and Employment
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Member, Salvation Army Detroit Metropolitan Advisory Board and Executive Committee
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Macomb County Bar Association
- Oakland County Inns of Court
- Michigan Bankers Association
- Michigan Chamber of Commerce
- Community Bankers of Michigan
- Construction Association of Michigan (CAM)
- Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association (MITA)
- 08/23/202270 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2023
- 08/16/2022Employers Beware! Michigan Supreme Court Clarifies and Expands Public-Policy Exception to At-Will Employment Presumption
- 08/12/202263 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2022
- 03/17/2022NLRB Targets More Restrictive Standard for Employee Handbooks and Work Rules
- 03/11/2022Sixth Circuit Decision Provides Guidance on Properly Managing Workplace Harassment and Discrimination Complaints
- University of Detroit School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Oakland University, B.A., with honors
- Macomb County Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA)
- State Bar of Michigan