John Below is a labor and employment and general business litigation attorney. His practice is concentrated in resolving employment, complex financial services and commercial disputes.
John aggressively solves problems and wins cases for his clients, which include, large employers in the construction and health care industries, regional and national banks, and major manufacturing and industrial companies. John partners with his clients and together, they forge and execute strategies for success.
John’s primary area of litigation and dispute resolution expertise is state and federal litigation of employment law matters, including:
- Discrimination litigation and arbitrations
- Wrongful discharge litigation and arbitrations
- Non-compete and confidentiality agreement litigation
- Traditional labor matters
- Administrative proceedings before the EEOC and MDCR
He also has extensive experience in banking and commercial litigation involving foreclosures, receiverships, contract and loan disputes, fraud, lender liability, bankruptcy, and complex construction litigation and arbitrations.
John has been listed since 2014 in Michigan Super Lawyers under Employment and Labor. He is listed in Benchmark Litigation 2023 as a Labor & Employment Star, in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2014-2017 and 2019-2022 under Labor and Employment Law, and in The Best Lawyers in America 2022-2023 under Litigation-Labor and Employment and Commercial Litigation. He is AV-Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell. He is a frequent author and presenter on employment law and business litigation topics and provides legal compliance training for management and executive leadership.
He is a member of the Oakland County Bar Association and the Macomb County Bar Association. He is also active with a number of industry and business organizations including the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti Chamber of Commerce, and the Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association (MITA).
In law school, John served as a Senior Staff Editor of the University of Detroit Mercy Law Review.
John has served for more than ten years on The Salvation Army Detroit Metropolitan Advisory Board and serves on its Executive and Programs Committees.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America 2022-2023, Litigation-Labor and Employment and Commercial Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation 2023, Labor & Employment Star
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2014-2022, Employment and Labor
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2014-2017, 2019-2022 Labor and Employment
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Member, Salvation Army Detroit Metropolitan Advisory Board and Executive Committee
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Macomb County Bar Association
- Michigan Chamber of Commerce
- Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti Chamber of Commerce
- Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association (MITA)
- 02/28/2023Sixth Circuit Upholds Non-Compete Agreement Based on “Flexible Language” in Preliminary Injunction
- 08/23/202270 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2023
- 08/16/2022Employers Beware! Michigan Supreme Court Clarifies and Expands Public-Policy Exception to At-Will Employment Presumption
- 08/12/202263 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2022
- 03/17/2022NLRB Targets More Restrictive Standard for Employee Handbooks and Work Rules
- University of Detroit School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Oakland University, B.A., with honors