Mr. Shulman represents lenders in loan originations. His practice also encompasses loan workouts, contract and other general business matters, as well as counseling lenders on lender liability issues. In addition, he represents lenders acting in non-lending capacities such as trustee or escrow agent.
Mr. Shulman has extensive experience representing lenders providing credit enhancements for commercial paper back-up facilities and municipal bonds and representing lenders purchasing tax exempt bonds.
Mr. Shulman has handled a wide variety of loan transactions including leveraged buyout and leveraged recapitalization loans, asset-based loans, letter of credit and bankers acceptance facilities and multi-rate, multi-currency loan facilities. Mr. Shulman’s expertise includes structuring and documenting agented and syndicated loan facilities and other commercial transactions.
Mr. Shulman is the former chairman of Bodman’s Executive Committee, which guides firm operations and business strategy. He served as chairman from 2000 to 2010 and again from 2018 to 2019.
Mr. Shulman was named the 2020 Detroit Banking and Finance “Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America. He has received the highest possible “Star Individual” rating in the category of Banking & Finance in the latest edition of Chambers USA. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2024 under Banking and Finance Law, in IFLR1000 2023 under Banking and Finance, in Chambers USA 2023 under Banking & Finance, and in Michigan Super Lawyers 2023 under Banking Law. He has been recognized in Super Lawyers as one of the Top 100 lawyers in Michigan. He is listed as a 2024 “Top Lawyer” for Banking & Financial Service Law by DBusiness magazine. Mr. Shulman is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Shulman is involved with a variety of professional, civic and community organizations.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2023, Banking and Finance (“Star Individual”)
- Chambers USA 2003-2023, Banking & Finance
- The Best Lawyers in America 2003-2024, Banking and Finance Law
- The Best Lawyers in America 2009, 2016 and 2020 Detroit “Lawyer of the Year,” Banking and Finance
- IFLR1000 2023, Banking and Finance
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2023, Banking
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2010-2024, Banking & Financial Service Law
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- State Bar of Michigan
- Corporate Law Section
- Real Property Law Section
- 11/15/202377 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2024
- 09/19/202358 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2023
- 08/22/2023Bodman Receives Tier 1 Recognition for Banking and Finance and M&A Law in IFLR1000’s 2023 Rankings
- 08/17/202370 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2024
- 06/29/2023Chambers USA 2023 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan’s Top Business Law Firms
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- State Bar of Michigan