Lindsay Cummings is an accomplished estate planning and business lawyer who helps clients protect personal and business assets and transfer that wealth from generation to generation.
In the estate planning area, Lindsay delivers creative solutions to professionals (including dentists and health care providers) and high-wealth individuals that achieve financial goals while minimizing tax burdens. Through wills, trusts, advanced directives, guardianships, conservatorships, family LLCs, and other vehicles, she gives clients peace of mind about how their heirs and beneficiaries will be taken care of when they are gone or cannot make decisions for themselves. Additionally, Lindsay advises trustees in estate administration and personal representatives in probate matters and associated real estate and business transactions.
Lindsay’s work with closely-held business owners includes entity selection, formation, purchases, and sales, with a particular focus on medical and dental practices and the corporate practice of medicine. She often assembles and leads teams of attorneys from Bodman’s business, health care, workplace law, real estate, and tax practices to provide comprehensive service and counsel and establish a single, efficient resource for each client’s unique legal needs.
Before joining Bodman, Lindsay founded and operated her own law firm in Grand Rapids, representing individual clients in estate planning, real estate, and general business law matters. Throughout her career, she has earned the respect of her peers and colleagues, as evidenced by repeat appearances on the annual lists of The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch and Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers.
Besides advising clients on wealth transfer and business matters, Lindsay has also taught estate planning and contracts courses as an adjunct professor at Western Michigan University Cooley Law School.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2021-2023, Trusts and Estates
- Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers 2019-2022, Trusts & Estates
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Volunteers in Service (VIS), Member, Board of Directors
- Member, Elder Law Advisory Board
- Co-Planner, annual Drafting Estate Planning Documents seminar
- State Bar of Michigan (Probate & Estate Planning Section)
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Presenter, “Fundamentals of Estate Administration,” ICLE, June 2022
- Presenter, “Common Issues in Estate Administration,” ICLE, February 2021
- Presenter, “Trust Funding 101,” ICLE, June 2020
- Presenter, “Demonstration: Initial Client Interview,” ICLE, July 2019
- Presenter, “Drafting Estate Plan Documents, 28th Annual,” ICLE, January and February 2019
- Presenter, “Fundamentals of Estate Administration,” ICLE, October 2018
- Presenter, “Common Issues in Estate Administration,” ICLE, October 2017
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
- Former Adjunct Professor (Estate Planning)
- Former Visiting Professor (Contracts)
- 11/30/2022Twelve Bodman Attorneys Included in 2022 Grand Rapids Top Lawyers List
- 08/23/202227 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2023
- 12/13/2021Six Bodman Attorneys Included in 2022 Grand Rapids Top Lawyers List
- 08/31/2021Five Bodman PLC Grand Rapids Attorneys Honored by The Best Lawyers in America
- 08/19/202123 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2022
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Albion College, B.A., magna cum laude