Melissa Tetreau represents employers in all aspects of employment law. She counsels employers on compliance with state and federal labor and employments laws and represents them in connection with employment disputes.
Ms. Tetreau defends employers against allegations of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and related claims. She regularly represents clients in state and federal courts, as well as administrative proceedings before state and federal agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the Michigan Civil Rights Commission, and the Department of Labor.
Ms. Tetreau frequently counsels employers and Human Resources Professionals on day-to-day employment law issues. She drafts documentation for all stages of employment, from employment agreements and applications to employee handbooks and separation agreements. She also advises on non-compete issues and litigates these claims when necessary.
She further advises clients on labor matters and handles union elections, negotiations, and the grievance and arbitration process.
Ms. Tetreau regularly speaks on employment topics, including recent updates in employment law and legislation, the Family and Medical Leave Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, and mitigating risk during discipline and termination.
Ms. Tetreau is on the Board of Detroit SHRM and also serves on the organization’s Legal Affairs Committee. She is also a member of Inforum Michigan.
She graduated first in her class from the University of Toledo College of Law and served as Managing Editor of the University of Toledo Law Review.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2024, Labor and Employment Law
- Michigan Rising Stars 2022-2023, Employment & Labor
- Leadership Monroe, Class of 2016-2017
- Detroit SHRM
- Community and Government Relations Chair
- Legal Affairs Committee Member
- Inforum Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
- Labor & Employment Law, Litigation, and Young Lawyers Sections
- “Federal Trade Commission Proposed Broad Ban on Non-Compete Agreements,” Bodman Workplace Law Update, January 2023
- “Court Decision Expands Paid Sick Time Requirements and Increases Minimum Wage,” Bodman Workplace Law Update, July 2022
- “CDC and MDHHS Align on Mask Usage,” Bodman Workplace Law Update, March 2022
- Co-presenter (with Aaron D. Graves), “Managing Discipline and Performance in a Post Pandemic World,” Michigan Public Employers Labor Relations Association, March 17, 2023
- State Bar of Michigan 2023 A Lawyer Helps Pro Bono Honor Roll
- 11/15/202377 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2024
- 09/19/202358 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2023
- 08/31/2023Bodman PLC and 31 Firm Attorneys Honored by State Bar of Michigan for Pro Bono Service
- 06/26/2023Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Decision Underscores Critical Need to Review Wage & Hour Policies
- 01/18/2023Federal Trade Commission Proposes Broad Ban on Non-Compete Agreements
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Grand Valley State University, B.A., with honors