Nick McElhinny represents business, health care and education clients in a variety of matters, including buying and selling established businesses, forming new businesses, corporate governance, regulatory compliance (including issues related to the corporate practice of medicine), and complex commercial transactions.
He represents aviation clients in leasing, purchasing, operating, and selling aircraft and negotiating aviation services agreements. Nick regularly represents clients in debt and equity financings (private equity, venture capital, angel investments). He represents educational institutions in connection with board governance matters, day-to-day operational issues, and any special or unusual legal issues that arise.
Nick has also served an extended in-house assignment at a major Tier-1 automotive supplier. In that capacity, he advised on commercial and operational matters including acquisitions, purchase and supply contracts, terms and conditions, joint development agreements, and equipment purchases and sales.
Nick is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and its Business Law, Health Care Law, and Aviation Law Sections.
He attended Wayne State University Law School, where he earned numerous academic honors and awards. While attending law school, he served as managing editor and assistant editor of the Wayne Law Review and interned for a semester in the chambers of Judge Helene White of the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2022-2023, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Michigan Rising Stars 2022, Mergers & Acquisitions
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2017 and 2020-2022, Health Care Law, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law
- American Health Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Aviation Law Section
- Business Law Section
- Health Care Law Section
- Co-Author (with Mary E. Cebula), “SEC Provides Relief For Some Reporting Requirements,” Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, April 2020
- Co-Author (with Michael S. Melfi and Joseph R. Morrison Jr.), “SBA Disaster Loan Program for Michigan Business Owners,” Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Disclaimers of Extra-Contractual Fraud Claims in M&A Transactions Under Delaware Law,” Michigan Business Law Journal, Fall 2017
- 12/05/202268 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2023
- 08/23/202227 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2023
- 08/12/202263 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2022
- 12/13/202169 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2022
- 08/19/202123 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2022
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Minnesota, B.S.