Alexis Smith-Scott represents business clients in connection with complex commercial transactions and corporate law matters including corporate organization and mergers & acquisitions.
Before becoming an associate at Bodman, Ms. Smith-Scott worked as a summer associate with the firm, gaining experience with a broad range of clients and areas of practice.
Before becoming an attorney, Ms. Smith-Scott had a varied business career, including co-founding a public relations and marketing firm, serving as vice president of marketing & business development for a marketing and advertising firm, and serving as marketing director for the City of Detroit’s Homeland Security and Emergency Management Department. She also worked as a court appointed guardianship reviewer for the Oakland County (Michigan) Probate Court.
While in law school, Ms. Smith-Scott was active with a number of organizations, including the Student Board of Governors (governor at-large), the Black Law Students Association (community chair), the Entrepreneurship & Business Law Society (member), the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee (committee member), the Student Bar Association (senator), and Moot Court (member). She also founded the pilot “Be the Change” program designed to inspire young people to attend law school and promote positive change in the world.
She served a judicial internship with Hon. Stephen J. Murphy II of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and an externship with the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, Special Prosecutions Division. She also received numerous academic honors, including the Class Ranking Honors Scholarship, the Wolverine Bar Foundation—Damon J. Keith Scholarship, the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Scholarship, and the D. Augustus Straker Bar Foundation—A. Kay Stanfield Spinks Law Student Scholarship, among others.
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Notre Dame Preparatory School and Marist Academy, annual fundraising co-chair (2016—present)
- Matrix Off the Streets—For Homeless Teens, community motivational speaker (2012—present)
- Focus: HOPE, literacy volunteer (2019)
- Forgotten Harvest, volunteer student organization leader (2018)
- Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries (Oasis), Google Digital Workshop host (2012-2016)
- Birmingham Bloomfield Chamber of Commerce
- Jack and Jill of America, Motor City Chapter
- Public Relations Society of America
- Guest speaker, Automation Alley Tech Takeover (January 2015)
- 06/10/2021Alexis A. Smith-Scott Joins Bodman PLC
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Wayne State University, B.A.