Mr. Spilkin serves as primary real estate counsel for large corporate clients, particularly those in the automotive industry, in matters involving the purchase of real estate for development, the sale of excess real estate, and their general day-to-day real estate activities.
His real estate practice also includes the representation of buyers, sellers and developers in commercial, industrial and residential purchases and sales ranging from single family homes to multi-million dollar complex transactions. He has significant experience drafting and negotiating commercial and residential leases and subleases for both landlords and tenants, including leases and ground leases for office, retail, and manufacturing space, as well as cell tower leases. Mr. Spilkin also represents owners and developers in construction projects and represents landlords and tenants in lease disputes.
Mr. Spilkin’s banking practice focuses on the representation of lenders and borrowers in real estate financing transactions, including mortgage, land development, and construction lending for all types of commercial and residential projects.
Mr. Spilkin is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2022 under Real Estate Law, in Michigan Super Lawyers 2020 under Real Estate, and in Chambers USA 2021 under Real Estate. He is listed as a 2021 "Top Lawyer" by DBusiness magazine. Mr. Spilkin is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Spilkin is past President of CoreNet Global’s Michigan Chapter. He is a past member of the Salvation Army Advisory Council for the Southeast Michigan Adult Rehabilitation Center and a past member of the Board of Trustees of Temple Kol Ami.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2021, Real Estate
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2009-2022, Real Estate
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2009-2021, Real Estate
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2013-2020, Real Estate
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- CoreNet Global, Michigan Chapter, Past President
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section
- Real Property Law Section
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Southeast Michigan Adult Rehabilitation Center, past member, Salvation Army Advisory Council
- Temple Kol Ami, past member, Board of Trustees
- Co-Author (with Gregory J. Gamalski), "Real Estate Activities In Connection with Essential Financial Services," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, April 2020
- "Loan Forbearance Now Available for Multifamily Property Owners,"Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, April 2020
- "Real Estate Purchase Agreements – Unprecedented Times Require a Careful Approach," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- 08/19/202168 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2022
- 06/08/2021Chambers USA 2021 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan's Top Business Law Firms
- 10/30/202076 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2021
- 09/18/202056 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2020
- 08/20/202061 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan, BBA, with high distinction
- State Bar of Michigan