As a member of the High Net Worth and Tax Practice Groups, Mr. Long represents individual clients on estate planning and on gift and income tax matters. He also advises clients on corporate and transactional matters in connection with their closely-held businesses.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Long worked for two major accounting and consulting firms as a Senior Associate advising multinational corporations on complex corporate transactions and domestic and international tax planning issues. He also worked as a Director of Client Services and Senior Tax Attorney for a tax controversy firm where he prepared corporate and individual tax returns, resolved tax debts with federal and/or state tax authorities, and defended clients in IRS audits.
While in law school, Mr. Long served as Notes and Comments Assistant Editor for the Business Law and Securities Journal and as Editor of Local and State Government Politics for the student newspaper, Res Ipsa Loquitur. He served as a Judicial Intern to the Hon. Paul D. Borman of the U.S. District Court for Eastern District of Michigan and as a Teaching Assistant to Professor Frank Ravitch of MSU College of Law. Mr. Long was a member of the Black Law Students Association and participated in the ABA Law Student Tax Challenge and the Transactional Lawyering Meet. He worked as a Clinician with the MSU College of Law Small Business & Nonprofit Clinic where he advised clients on a variety of general business and tax law issues.
He is a member of the Wolverine Bar Association and the National Association of Black Accountants. Mr. Long is also a member of the Taxation Section of the State Bar of Michigan. He is an adjunct assistant professor at Walsh College.
He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Ruth Ellis Center.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Rising Stars 2020, Estate & Probate
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Ruth Ellis Center
- Member, Board of Directors
- National Association of Black Accountants
- State Bar of Michigan
- Member, Taxation Section
- Wolverine Bar Association
- Author, "Selling Interests in Multistate Businesses: The Court of Appeals' Recent Decision in Vectren Infrastructure Services Corp v Dep't of Treasury," Michigan Tax Lawyer (Summer 2020)
- Author, "Program-Related Investments: Are They Too Risky?", Michigan Business Law Journal, Summer 2020
- Presenter, "Succession Planning, Wills and Trusts," Small Business Association of Michigan Webinar, August 15, 2019
- Assistant Adjunct Professor, Walsh College
- 09/18/202056 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2020
- 11/12/2018Attorney Jennifer L. Long Joins Bodman PLC
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. (Taxation)
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Wolverine Bar Association
- Michigan Women's Tax Association