Alan Gocha represents business clients in complex litigation matters. He has successfully represented clients ranging from small startups to Fortune 100 corporations in a broad array of business disputes.
Before joining Bodman in July 2023, Alan practiced with an AmLaw50 global law firm where he was a member of the Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution, IP Litigation, and International Arbitration teams. He also practiced as a Litigation Associate with a highly regarded IP boutique law firm where he served as lead counsel in many state and federal court cases. Alan has experience in litigation matters involving IP, RICO, torts, contracts, shareholder rights, tax, and civil rights. He has also drafted and negotiated many complex manufacturing and supply agreements.
Alan is active in the pro bono representation of indigent individuals and community-based nonprofits, earning a place on the State Bar of Michigan’s 2023 A Lawyer Helps Pro Bono Honor Roll.
As a law student, Alan served as Articles Editor of the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics. He won the Georgetown Journal of Law & Modern Critical Race Perspectives’ Annual Essay Contest and was named an Exceptional Pro Bono Pledge Honoree, Georgetown Law Center’s highest pro bono honor. He co-founded the Detroit Legal Alliance, an organization supporting pro bono services in the city of Detroit.
- American Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Young Lawyers Section
- “There is a ‘Better then Negligible’ Chance You are Invoking the Wrong Standard: The Preliminary Injunction Analysis in the Seventh Circuit,” Chicago Bar Ass’n (2020)
- “A Modern System for Resolving Online Copyright Infringement Disputes: Administrative Rulemaking and Adjudication, a One-Stop Fix to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act,” 58 Idea 131 (2018)
- “Avoiding the Rabbit Hole: An Ontological Model for Determining Section 101 Patent-Eligibility,” 17 J. Marshall Rev. Intel. Prop. L. 192 (2017)
- “Internet Service Providers Must Register DMCA Agents in Copyright Office’s New Online Registry,” Mondaq (2017)
- “The Sanitization of Violence: Exposing the Plea Bargain Regime as a Tool for Mass Injustice,” 8 Geo. J. L. & Mod. Critical Race Persp. 307 (2016)
- “A Call for Realism in the Justice Systems: Why Criminal Defense Attorneys Should Take Race into Account when Advising Clients,” 28 Geo. J. Legal Ethics 547 (2015)
- “Pleadings in Federal Court,” Judicial Interns of the Northern District of Illinois (2021)
- “Associate’s Guide to Success,” Judicial Externs and Law Clerks of the Northern District of Illinois (2021)
- “Practical Lessons for Intellectual Property Practitioners,” CLE in the Gardens, State Bar of Arizona (2018)
- Detroit Association of Realtors Luncheon Commemorating 50th Anniversary of the FHA (2018)
- State Bar of Michigan 2023 A Lawyer Helps Pro Bono Honor Roll (100+ Hours of Service)
- Pre-trial counsel of record for a Fortune 100 company in complex intellectual property and commercial dispute involving breach of contract, patent infringement, copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets claims. While the opposing side initially sought $1 billion in damages, the court ruled in the client’s favor on two rounds of Daubert motions, excluding six expert reports (including both damages experts) and granted the client summary judgment on several claims.
- Represented plaintiff in design patent litigation. Obtained partial summary judgment, multimillion-dollar judgment and permanent injunction.
- Counsel of record for plaintiff in a commercial dispute involving multimillion-dollar breach of contract, copyright infringement and unjust enrichment claims. Obtained sanctions and favorable resolution.
- Counsel of record for plaintiff in multimillion-dollar breach of contract case. Obtained favorable resolution.
- Counsel of record for an energy drink company in case involving trademark infringement and false advertising claims. Obtained favorable resolution.
- Counsel of record for defendants in case involving fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and shareholder oppression claims. Obtained favorable resolution.
- Lead counsel for a Fortune 10 company in shareholder dispute. Obtained favorable resolution.
- Trial counsel for Chapter 7 bankruptcy panel trustee in adversary proceeding. Obtained favorable judgment after bench trial.
- Lead counsel for plaintiff in consumer protection litigation. Obtained dispositive sanctions, including an award of treble damages and attorney’s fees.
- Counsel of record for plaintiff in international contract dispute. Obtained summary judgment and discovery sanctions.
- Lead counsel for plaintiff in consumer protection litigation. Obtained favorable resolution after receiving favorable judgment and award of treble damages.
- Lead counsel for defendant in case involving claims for breach of contract and fraud. Obtained walk-away settlement.
- Counsel of record for a Fortune 500 company in administrative proceeding challenging tax assessment. Obtained voluntary withdrawal of tax assessment.
- Counsel of record for defendant in Title III action. Obtained voluntary dismissal.
- Lead counsel for defendant in duty-to-defend insurance coverage dispute. Obtained favorable resolution.
- Lead counsel for appellants in appeal seeking to overturn a grant of summary judgment on statute of limitation grounds. Obtained reversal on five claims.
- Counsel of record for appellants in appeal seeking to overturn grant of summary judgment on evidentiary grounds. Obtained reversal on all claims.
- Represented appellant in appeal seeking to overturn the invalidation of several patents. Obtained reversal.
- Represented appellant in duty-to-indemnify insurance coverage dispute. Obtained favorable resolution.
- Obtained favorable results for clients in several commercial arbitrations.
- 08/31/2023Bodman PLC and 31 Firm Attorneys Honored by State Bar of Michigan for Pro Bono Service
- 07/14/2023Alan J. Gocha Joins Bodman PLC in Grand Rapids Office
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.