We are saddened to report that Dennis J. Levasseur, a long-time member of Bodman, passed away on March 2, 2023.
Dennis leaves a major imprint on the Firm. He joined Bodman in 1987 after serving as a law clerk for the Honorable Stewart Newblatt of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. During his more than 35-year career with the Firm, he represented many of our largest clients in complex business litigation matters, served as city attorney for Grosse Pointe Park for more than a decade, and served on many management committees. As a senior member of the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group, he worked with and helped mentor generations of Bodman attorneys. He will be sorely missed.
Dennis was also active outside of Bodman, serving as a founder of the Historical Society of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and on the Executive Board and as Vice President for Legal Affairs of the Detroit Historical Society.
On behalf of the entire Bodman family, we extend our sincere condolences to Dennis’s wife, Melissa, and their daughters, Kathryn Cousin and Margaret Levasseur.
Dennis’s firm biography, which provides additional details of his many career accomplishments, appears below:
Mr. Levasseur represents clients in complex commercial litigation and arbitrations with particular focus on intellectual property litigation, franchise/dealer litigation, complex commercial litigation, trade secret litigation, securities litigation and arbitration, and banking and finance litigation, in proceedings throughout the United States.
Mr. Levasseur has over 30 years of experience representing businesses, including financial institutions, franchisors, insurance companies, securities broker dealers, and manufacturers in a whole host of matters. His approach is to focus on the most cost effective and favorable resolution of disputes, either through settlement or trial.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Levasseur clerked for the Honorable Stewart A. Newblatt of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Mr. Levasseur is a founder of the Historical Society of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and serves as the Legal/Government Committee Chair and on the Executive Board as the Vice President for Legal Affairs of the Detroit Historical Society. He is the former City Attorney for Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan.
Mr. Levasseur is listed as the 2021 Detroit “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation-Banking & Finance in The Best Lawyers in America. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2023 under Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Banking & Finance, and Litigation-Intellectual Property, listed in Chambers USA 2022 under Commercial Litigation, listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2022 under Securities Litigation, listed in Benchmark Litigation 2008-2023 as a Litigation Star, and is listed as a 2022 “Top Lawyer” for Litigation-Banking and Finance and Litigation-Intellectual Property by DBusiness magazine. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2022, Commercial Litigation
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2016, 2018 and 2021 Detroit “Lawyer of the Year,” Litigation- Banking & Finance
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2012-2023, Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Banking & Finance and Litigation-Intellectual Property
- Benchmark Litigation 2008-2023, Litigation Star
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2010, 2013-2022, Litigation-Commercial, Litigation-Banking and Finance, Litigation-Intellectual Property, Insurance Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2006-2022, Securities Litigation
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2020, Top 100 Attorneys
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Historical Society of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Founder
- Detroit Historical Society, Legal/Government Committee Chair and Vice President for Legal Affairs
- FINRA® Arbitrator
- Wayne County Mediation Tribunal, Commercial Mediator
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- Compliance & Legal Society
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Franchising
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Summer Associate Courthouse Program Committee, Co-Chair
- Newsletter Committee
- Detroit Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Foundation (Fellow)
Mr. Levasseur’s recent matters include:
- Columbia Pictures Inc. v Ben Fysh, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11234 (2007)
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America and United Broadcasting Network, Inc. v Helen Dorsey et al., 273 Mich App 26 (2006)
- Raymond James & Associates, Inc. v Leonard & Company, 411 F. Supp. 2d 689(2006)
- Entertainment Software Association v Granholm, 404 F. Supp. 2d 978 (2005)
- La-Van Hawkins Urban City Foods v Burger King Corp., 2003 U.S. App. LEXIS 20243 (2003)
- Nehls v Hillsdale College, 178 F Supp 2d 771 (2001)
- Hilgraeve Corp. v Symantec Corp., 265 F 3d 1336 (2001)
- McDonald’s Corp. v Burger King Corp., 107 F Supp. 2d 787 (2000)
- Relume Corp. v Dialight Corp., 63 F Supp 2d 788 (1999)
- Greer v Norfolk & W. Railway, 1998 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 15875 (1998)
- Chubb Sec. Corp. v Manning, 224 Mich App 702; 569 NW2d 886 (1997)
- ATD Corp. v Lydall Inc., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 2527 (1997)
- Tannian v City of Grosse Pointe Park, 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12084 (1995)
- Norfolk & W. Railway v United States, 842 F. Supp. 728 (1994)
- Rodgers v Flint Journal, 779 F Supp. 70 (1991)
- Michigan Consolidated Gas Co. v Panhandle Eastern Pipe Line Co., 887 F Supp 2d 1295 (1989)
- 12/05/202268 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2023
- 08/23/202270 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed In The Best Lawyers in America 2023
- 08/12/202263 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2022
- 06/17/2022Chambers USA 2022 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan's Top Business Law Firms
- 12/13/202169 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2022
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Wayne State University, B.A.