Jill M. Miller maintains a national practice advising clients in the electronic payments processing industry on contractual and regulatory matters with a particular focus on privacy and cybersecurity laws. She is the chair of Bodman’s Data Privacy and Security Practice Group.
Her clients include independent sales organizations, merchant-acquiring businesses, major credit card brands, software and hardware providers, payment gateways, and financial institutions. She counsels these clients on compliance with a broad range of international, federal and state regulations including GDPR, TILA, Regulation Z, consumer disclosure laws, licensed lender laws, unclaimed property laws, and many other laws affecting the payments industry.
She also advises clients on compliance with state and federal personal data protection laws and prepares policies and procedures related to customer privacy and data breach protection, detection, and notification. She works with clients to develop data breach response plans and works with forensic consultants and other advisors to mitigate risk to her clients when a breach does occur.
She is active with a number of electronic payments processing industry associations and serves as outside general counsel to the Retail Solutions Providers Association (RSPA), a national organization composed of resellers, distributors, hardware manufacturers, software developers, consultants and service providers who bring retail technology solutions to the marketplace.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine “Top Lawyers” 2021-2022, Information Technology Law
- Leadership Detroit Class XL (2018-2019)
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Women in Law” 2017
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Up and Coming Lawyers” 2013
- Retail Solutions Providers Association (RSPA)
- Outside General Counsel
- Southeast Acquirers Association
- Member, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Member, Business Law Section
- Author, “Security Guidelines for Employees Working Remotely,” Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- 04/25/2023Arbitration of Business Ownership Disputes: Great in Theory, Not Always So in Practice
- 12/13/202169 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2022
- 12/09/2021Negative Online Reviews of Your Business: Disgruntled Does Not Necessarily Mean Defamatory
- 10/30/202076 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2021
- 02/03/2020Experienced Business Attorney Jill M. Miller Joins Bodman PLC
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Eastern Michigan University, B.A.