Melissa Chapman is a patent attorney who advises clients on the various aspects of intellectual property law and enjoys the dynamics of constantly changing technologies. She has procured patents covering a wide range of technologies including automotive systems, medical devices, battery formation, and charging systems.
Before joining Bodman in May 2023, Melissa practiced patent law with a highly regarded intellectual property law firm based in metropolitan Detroit.
Melissa is active in the Alumni Association of the Florida Institute of Technology, serving as a member of the Graduates of the Last Decade Leadership Council, a representative of the Metro Detroit Regional Alumni Chapter, and chairperson of the Greek Alumni Board.
In law school, Melissa served as Publication Editor (2021-2022) and Associate editor (2020-2021) of the Wayne State Journal of Business Law and was Secretary of the Wayne State Intellectual Property Student Association (2020-2021). She earned several academic honors and awards including the Michigan Association of Corporate Counsel Scholarship, the Michigan IP Inn of Court Scholarship, and the Wayne State Law School Silver Key Award.
Growing up in a farming community, Melissa was involved in a vocational agriculture program where she learned how to rebuild small engines and tractors at an early age, providing a solid foundation for understanding advanced technical and mechanical concepts. She spends her free time with her two rescue dogs and is an avid gardener, growing fresh fruits and vegetables.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Intellectual Property and Young Lawyers Sections
- Michigan IP Inn of Court
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- “Utilizing Trademark Law as a Sword: How to Gouge Price Gougers,” Wayne State Journal of Business Law, Vol. 5 (2022)
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Eastern Michigan University, M.A.
- Florida Institute of Technology, B.S.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office